The Top 10 most complained about ads of 2009
The Advertising Standards Authority has today unveiled the most complained about advertisements of 2009, view them all here.
A poster pronouncing 'There definitely is a God' was the most complained about ad in 2009.
Last year, there was a 10% drop in the number of ads complained about, despite the ASA receiving a 9.6% increase in complaints to 28,978.
The vast majority (90%) of complaints were made through the ASA's online form and the association claims the average time to resolve a complaint was just 13 days.
ASA chairman, Rt Hon Lord Smith of Finsbury, said: "This has been a turbulent and busy year for us. The ASA... have now been the one-stop shop for the regulation of advertising across all media for more than five years."
The advertising body is nearly 50 years old and its annual report highlights the work of ASA and CAP during 2009, and how the two organisations work together to create a regulatory system that remains current and proactive.
Top 10 most complained about ads
1. The Christian Party: 'There definitely is a God'
(1.204 complaints. Not investigated)
2. Volkswagen: 'Sometimes the only one you have to beat is yourself'
(1,070 complaints. Part upheld)
3. Home Pride: 'So easy, even a man can do it'
(804 complaints. Not upheld)
4. Advanced Medical Institute: 'Want longer lasting sex?'
(525 complaints. Upheld)
5. Israeli Government Tourist Office: Experience Israel
[featuring a map of the West Bank and Gaza Strip]
(445 complaints. Upheld)
6. British Humanist Association: 'There's probably no God'
(392 complaints. Not investigated)
7. Kellogg: featuring a man chasing a rogue shopping trolley with a baby inside, only to save
the box of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes
(323 complaints. Not investigated)
8. Pfizer: Rat poison
(312 complaints. Not investigated)
9. SC Johnson: 'Mummy, I want to poo at Paul's house'
(292 complaints. Not investigated)
10. Department of Health: stroke awareness ad
(242 complaints. Not investigated)
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Product Marketing Manager - 11 months contract - London - £53K pro rata Digital Gurus £53000 Per Annum, London
- group account director / biz director > INTERNATIONAL DRINKS ACCOUNT > TTL > FOOTBALL collectivo Up to £80k depending on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- European Marketing Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £0.00 - £62000.00 per annum, London
- Senior SEO Account Manager Ultimate Asset £33000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- SEO Analyst - Technical Ultimate Asset £24000 - £27000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK
- ASA bans 'strongly sexual' Giffgaff ad
- In pictures: Campaign Media Awards 2014
- Freeview launches singing toys campaign
- Hammerson uses automated mechanical model to showcase Christmas gifts