B&Q turns to football garden gnomes to prevent sales drop
By Joe Thomas, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 04 June 2010 12:45PM
B&Q has started selling a garden gnome wearing an England football strip, as it hopes to prevent a drop-off of DIY sales usually associated with sporting events.
The gnome, which is wearing a replica of England's current home strip, has gone on sale today (4 June), ahead of the start of the Fifa World Cup in South Africa next Friday. It is also available to buy online, priced at £12.98.
The DIY retailer has stocked wheelbarrows featuring the St George's cross for the past few weeks. B&Q has also been stocking a World Cup Petunia Mix – red and white flowers, with 20,000 mixes sold.
Yesterday, Kingfisher, the parent company of B&Q said that like-for-like sales for the DIY chain in the UK had fallen by 2.8% in the 13 weeks to May 1.
The retailer said that trading was hit by snow, as well as a chillier March and April. Total sales in the UK and Ireland were down 2.1% to £1.04bn, with retail profit growth of 12.0% to £67m.
Its Screwfix brand was impacted by a "challenging trade market", witnessing a total sales decline of 0.8% to £118m.
Ian Cheshire, group chief executive at Kingfisher, said: "We have continued to deliver solid profit growth in a tough first quarter, during which our customers were impacted by adverse weather conditions across Europe and ongoing economic uncertainty.
"While this is a good start to the year, our first quarter is typically one of the least significant contributors to annual profit, and so there is much still to do this year. The headwinds we anticipated at the start of the year look set to continue, but we are in good shape and well prepared."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Account Director Major Players £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- CRM Marketing Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, Benefits: + Company Car + Excellent Bonus , Milton Keynes
- Social Media Account Manager Hanson Search up to £35,000, London
- Senior Strategic Planner - Brand Engagement The Real Adventure £70-75,000 per annum +Benefits, Bristol / London
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- International Women's Day: 'You make your own luck' says Cheryl Giovannoni
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%