BT to offer Sky Sports 1 and 2 from July
BT is to offer Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 on digital terrestrial TV for the first time from July, following a milestone agreement with the paid-for broadcaster.
The wholesale supply agreement between BT and Sky for Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 means that BT customers will be able to sign up for the subscription channel from next month.
BT Vision customers will be able to view the channels from August 1, in time for the start of the Premier League football season on August 14.
BT Retail chief executive Gavin Patterson said: "We are delighted to have reached this milestone, which means that we can be certain of offering Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 to our customers before the football season kicks off.
"We know our customers will be keen to sign up for the two channels."
The decision follows the ruling last week by Ofcom that approved the use of spectrum capacity for the two sports channels which has been freed up on due to the digital switchover.
In March the broadcasting regulator ruled that BSkyB must cut the price it charges competitors for its premium sports channels Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 following a long-running investigation, which meant BT can offer Sky Sports 1 and 2 for the first time. The judgment is being appealed by Sky, Virgin Media and BT.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater), South East England
- Customer Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 + c/a, South East England
- Senior Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + car or c/a, London (Greater)
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham