Binatone beats Samsung and BlackBerry with budget tablet launch
By Jennifer Whitehead, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 01 September 2010 04:20PM
While the world feverishly anticipates the launch of BlackBerry and Samsung rivals to Apple's iPad, UK telephone manufacturer Binatone has launched a budget tablet computer that runs on Google's Android operating system and costs £130.
Binatone has already launched a home smartphone that runs on Android. Now it has come out with the HomeSurf tablet, which will be available in the UK and throughout Europe.
The HomeSurf uses wi-fi to access the internet but does not offer a 3G connection.
It can be used for listening to music, watching videos, tweeting and emailing, and can use the apps from the Google Android store.
The tablet has a seven-inch touchscreen and 2GB of built-in storage. There is also an eight-inch version, which will cost £180.
In a statement, Binatone said that the HomeSurf tablet was "the most affordable and all-encompassing solution to ever hit the European market".
The company hopes to grab a slice of the tablet market this Christmas, with analysts predicting that tablets will be the must-have gift of the season.
Other brands lining up tablet launches include Samsung, with its Galaxy Tab; BlackBerry, rumoured to be planning the BlackPad; and Lenovo, with LePad.
Binatone's launch is not without precedent. Amstrad, another British electronics retailer, launched a hybrid telephone/email device that was priced to appeal to those who did not want to invest in a home computer or laptop.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Account Director - brand, digital and communications - £55-65k Story Recruitment £55-65k plus bonus dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - strategic brand consultancy - £24-28k Story Recruitment £24-28k plus bonus dep on exp, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Luxury Brands Story Recruitment £32-38k dependent on experience, Central London
- Account Manager / Senior Account Manager - branding and comms - retail / media / leisure Story Recruitment £34 - 44k depending on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Consultant / Senior Brand Strategist Story Recruitment £70-80k+ dependent on experience, Central London