Italian ice-cream ad banned by ASA for religious mockery
By Sara Kimberley, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 15 September 2010 12:01AM
The controversial ad campaign by upmarket ice-cream brand Antonio Federici Gelato Italiano has been censured by the Advertising Standards Authority for being offensive.
One ad created in-house shows a pregnant nun eating from a pot of Antonio Federici Gelato Italiano under the strapline "Immaculately conceived".
Another ad shows two male priests apparently about to kiss, with the strapline "We believe in salvation".
The print ads appeared in women's weeklies Grazia, Look and The Lady, but were investigated by the advertising watchdog after it received a number of complaints about them.
Antonio Federici said the idea of "conception" represented the development of their ice cream, and its decision to use religious imagery stemmed from its strong feelings towards their product – the text also read "Ice cream is our religion".
The Lady later said it regretted the offence that had been caused to its readers and said it would not publish the ad or anything similar to it in future.
The ASA told Antonio Federici that is was not to repeat the ads in their current form, as it was likely to be seen as distortion and mockery of the beliefs of Roman Catholics.
This is not the first time the brand has landed in hot water for launching an offensive ad campaign. Last year, it was forced to pull an ad by the ASA, after it featured a priest and a nun looking as if they were about to kiss.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager - BTL / [Shopper] / Drinks / FMCG - Integrated Agency - £34k to £39k Fill Recruitment £34k - £39k, plus superb benefits, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Account Director - Creative Agency Spectrum 360 Recruitment £45k - £55k, London, Central
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Diageo and BBH end 15-year relationship
- Networking is never easier than in the queue for the toilet
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media