P&G to push sustainability through individual brands
P&G, the world's largest FMCG company, has said it will push the company's sustainability measures and goals through its individual brands.
Speaking to Marketing today, Peter White, director for global sustainability at P&G, said the goals set out in yesterday's webcast were "communicated through a corporate level" and claimed P&G "talks to customers through our brands".
He said: "Powering our plants with 100% renewable energy is not something you would stick on a pack."
Instead, he said that specific messages would be pushed through branding, such as the latest sustainable washing product from Ariel.
He said: "Individual products, like the Ariel Excel Gel that washes at low temperatures and saves energy, are the specific messages.
"By 2020 we want to get 70% of all washing machine loads done in cold water, which entails [using] the message on packs and communicating it to consumers."
The Ariel gel allows people to wash clothes on a cold setting but get the same results as they would from a hotter wash.
The company also announced short-term plans to reduce the packaging it produces by 20% per person and to change the amount of petroleum-based materials used in packaging to renewable materials by 25% by 2020.
P&G has already started putting this into practice. Last month it announced the use of sugar-cane derived plastic for some of their leading beauty brands, including Pantene Pro-V, Max Factor and Covergirl. The sustainable packaging is set to be brought out next year.
White said: "One is a change goal and one is a reduction goal and they both go hand in hand."
The company has promised to power their plants with 100% renewable energy, send zero consumer and manufacturing waste to landfills, and use 100% renewable or recyclable materials for all products and packaging, though P&G has admitted this may take decades to complete.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- DIGITAL STRATEGY MANAGER - INTEGRATED MARKETING AGENCY Live Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, East Midlands
- Account Director - International - Video Tech Business Ultimate Asset £50000 - £60000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- DIGITAL ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - MEDICAL COMMUNICATIONS AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £60000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, Berkshire
- CRM Executive - £30k - London Salt £25000 - £30000 per annum + bens, London