Microsoft backs Kinect with £300m global push
Microsoft is taking on Nintendo and Sony PlayStation with a $500m (£300m) global launch campaign for Kinect, its motion-sensitive controller system for the Xbox 360, ahead of the key Christmas sales period.
Kinect allows users to make movements or use their voice to interact with the console, without having to use a traditional controller. Microsoft’s intention is that the launch will enable it to steal share from the market-leading Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation Move.
The first TV ads break in the UK tomorrow (Thursday), ahead of Kinect’s launch on 10 November. The ad shows consumers playing Kinect-compatible games. It ends with the players portrayed as part of a game, with the tagline: ‘You are the controller.’
Microsoft will also run a 60-second spot during Saturday’s edition of The X Factor.
The ad was created by McCann Erickson, while Universal McCann handled media planning and buying. Accompanying digital activity was devised by AKQA. This comprises takeovers of websites including MTV, Marie Claire and Hotmail after the launch. Kinect will also be promoted on 127m packs of Coke, Diet Coke and Coke Zero. Current activity surrounding the launch includes a radio promotion on Galaxy, a trial roadshow and a window display in Selfridges.
The campaign, described by Stephen McGill, UK director for Xbox and entertainment at Microsoft, as its ‘largest, longest and most significant’, forms part of its strategy to broaden Xbox’s audience beyond hardcore gaming enthusiasts to families, women and children.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Paid Social Manager - Leading Media Agency - Biddable Media Ultimate Asset £28000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Freelance Planner - FMCG, Pitches & Government Business Speckled Frog £250-£300 daily rate, possibly negotiable, dependent on experience, Central London
- Brand and Marketing Manager sipsmith Up to £30,000 = Benefits (including gin!), Chiswick. London