RKCR and Lowe chiefs take Apprentices to the cleaners
By Sara Kimberley, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 11 November 2010 10:45AM
Last night, BBC One's 'The Apprentice' called on ad execs RKCR/Y&R chief executive Richard Exon, DLKW Lowe's creative director Tom Hudson, and managing partner strategy Rebecca Morgan, as candidates took part in an ad task.
The groups’ task was to create and produce a new brand of household cleaning product, along with a TV and radio ad. The programme's supremo, Lord Alan Sugar, enlisted the help of "one of the top ad agencies" Lowe to use its facilities.
The two teams created the Germ-O-Nater and the Octo-Kleen, which was described by Hudson as an "absolute travesty". The less-than-impressed Morgan described one of the ads as a "good idea struggling to get out, but unfortunately didn’t make it."
Sean Gogarty, Unilever’s head global brand development, also joined the expert panel, but described one of the ads as "quite distasteful".
Exon, who joined the 'The Apprentice: You're Fired' show, called the losing Germ-O-Nater’s campaign as "something no one in their right mind would have in their kitchen and let their kids anywhere near."
The product featured a black and red bottle with a black outline of a child, who instead looked like a woman, along with a TV ad of a father and son trying to remove tough stains from the kitchen.
Exon said the problem with Germ-O-Nater was that "it fell down around casting, advertising, product and branding."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater), South East England
- Customer Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 + c/a, South East England
- Senior Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + car or c/a, London (Greater)
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham