Christmas and Boxing Day break online retail records
Online retailers enjoyed a welcome boost following a December blighted by weather-related disruption with Christmas Day achieving record figures and Boxing Day proving to be the busiest online shopping day of the year.
Traditional High Street brands dominated the UK's top 20 most visited retail outlets, in figures from Experian Hitwise, joined by online giants including eBay, Amazon and iTunes.
Hitwise recorded and 32% increase in traffic from Christmas Eve to Christmas day.
Boxing Day managed to top this by 26%, recording a peak in traffic 12% higher than the previous busiest day, 5 December.
Experian said department stores and fashion retailers accounted for 13 of the top 20 most visited retail websites in the UK yesterday, with consumer electronics and entertainment sectors also performing well.
Boxing Day's most popular UK retail websites by share of visits
|Rank||Website|| Share (%)
|1|| eBay UK
|2|| Amazon UK
|5|| Your M&S
|6|| John Lewis
|12|| Tesco Direct
|13|| River Island
|14|| PC World
|16|| New Look
|17||House of Fraser||0.77|
Source: Experian Hitwise
The Interactive Media in Retail Group (IMRG) predicted consumers would part with up to £153m on Christmas Day, a period traditionally absolved from festive spending fever.
High Street stores are also enjoying good business. The Mirror reported up to £2.5bn was spent at packed stores and shopping centres across the UK yesterday alone.
The British Retail Consortium estimates £5billion will be spent in the sales this week, though today it warned retailers were bracing themselves for a difficult year ahead, with the majority predicting a decline on this year's levels.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Co-ordinator AF Selection Up to £25,000, Birmingham, West Midlands
- Digital Account Manager Source £150 - £180 per day, London
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Tango returns to advertising after two years with off-brand TV ad
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Why D&AD's first Black Pencil for Radio in 32 years is significant
- Procter & Gamble YouTube video banned