Yorkshire Tea plots US road-trip ad campaign
Yorkshire Tea is launching a £5m, documentary-style TV campaign.
The brand, owned by Taylors of Harrogate, has sent a group of staff on a US road trip to meet British expats yearning for a 'proper' cup of tea.
The group will travel from Los Angeles to New York City in a branded sampling van called 'Little Urn'.
The campaign marks a radical shift in strategy for the brand, which in the past has used Aardman Animation's Wallace and Gromit characters and Graham Fellows' comic creation John Shuttleworth in its advertising.
The first road-trip ad, a 60-second spot scheduled to air during Coronation Street on ITV1 next month, will feature the former frontman of 80s pop group Bros, Matt Goss, preparing for a show in Las Vegas.
Other expats taking part include Rochelle Peachy, founder of iloveyouraccent.com, a dating website aimed at pairing up Britons and Americans.
Other participants include a group of bikers, and traders on Wall Street.
In addition to its planned stops, the sampling van will visit places suggested by foll-owers of a campaign on Facebook and Twitter.
The ads, which will use the strapline 'Let's have a proper brew', are scheduled to air within 12 days of being filmed.
Richard Tolley, interim marketing director at Taylors of Harrogate, said: 'Consumers will influence the content of the TV ads. The ads will reflect their engagement [on Facebook and Twitter] and encourage further participation.'
The ads will be created by Beattie McGuinness Bungay, with media planning and buying handled by MediaCom North. Krux Marketing is acting as a consultant on the project, which is part of Yorkshire Tea's wider growth plan.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager - brand engagement & recruitment marketing Story Recruitment £38 - 45k dependent on experience, Central London
- Senior Account Manager Story Recruitment £30-35K plus bonus, dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Executive Creative Director MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)