Harrods escapes ban for 'murder' ad
By Ed Owen, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 02 February 2011 10:23AM
Harrods has escaped a ban by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) for a print ad that played on the game Cluedo, featuring a mock-up of a murder.
The ad appeared in Harrods' in-house magazine, promoting clothing and accessories sold in the store. It is understood to have been created in-house.
In the ad a woman is pictured lying on a bloodstained floor at the foot of a staircase.
A man holding a heavy candlestick stands next to her and text below him states "Professor Plum with the candlestick in the hall?".
The complaint said the ad is offensive and condoned violence.
Harrods disputed the picture was even an ad, arguing it was an editorial piece.
The magazine also carried several other pictures referring to the Cluedo board game, with straplines such as "Colonel Mustard with the revolver in the conservatory?".
The ASA disputed Harrods' claim and said as it was promoting in-store items, it came under its jurisdiction.
The ASA, in its ruling, said: "Although we noted that the ad depicted a scene which heavily implied that a violent act had taken place, we noted that the presentation was very stylised and the focus was on presenting the fashion and jewellery, rather than portraying a realistic image of violence.
"We considered that readers would clearly associate the image with the well-known board game Cluedo and would understand, in that context, that the scene related to the object of the game, namely, discovering which Cluedo character had committed a murder, in which room, and with which object."
The ASA ruled not to ban the ad. A Harrods spokesman said: "I can confirm that Harrods have agreed not to run this piece again and we apologise for any offence the photo shoot may have caused."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Communications Executive Ninesharp £28000 - £35000 per annum + Fantastic Benefits, City of London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Retail] - Superb London Agency! Fill Recruitment £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, London (Greater)
- Online Trading Manager Premier Consultants c.£45k plus bonus , Central London
- Account Director - Integrated / [CARS] - Global Agency - to £55k pending experience Fill Recruitment to £55k plus superb benefits, London (Greater)
- PLANNING ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR - GLOBAL SOFT DRINKS BRAND Ultimate Asset £50000 - £60000 per annum, London
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Haig Club launches David Beckham ad
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Blinkbox readies campaign to promote its cinema links
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith