Cava brand turns to TV sponsorship
By Ed Owen, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 02 February 2011 11:45AM
Spanish Cava brand Codorníu will sponsor the new Channel 4 show 'The Secret Supper Club', which launches on Saturday (5 February), in time for Valentine's Day.
Brokered by agency WFCA, which also created the programme idents, this is the first time the brand has used TV sponsorship.
Codorníu is the leading Cava brand in Spain but has lost ground to competitors such as Freixenet in the UK.
The programme will air after 'Come Dine With Me' on Saturday afternoons, and is expected to reach a similar audience, which WFCA claims is around eight million viewers. The show will run for 10 weeks.
The format follows food and drinks pundit Olly Smith as he travels around the UK visiting secret fashionable underground local eateries, or "supper clubs", with 10 mystery guests.
The idents will carry over to repeats on More4 and 4OD.
A WFCA spokesman said: "The sponsorship is designed to raise awareness and increase sales, and is a good tie-in for the brand, as the show is about informal dining."
The creative features press stills from Codorníu's print campaign coming to life as they move from Barcelona to the UK, while a rendition of 'Jerusalem' is played on a Spanish guitar.
Codorníu will also sponsor supper club events and offer wine sampling at events.
Jo Sorenson, brand manager for Codorníu UK, said: "Just like the show and the supper club movement, Codorníu is about enjoying quality, sociable occasions and informal dining so this sponsorship is a great fit, encouraging consumers to celebrate the everyday all year round. We hope that this new partnership will see significant sales growth across the brand."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Marketing & Campaigns Team Leader Department for Work and Pensions Minimum salary: National: £46290 London: £50840. Maximum salary: National: £57280 London: £62140. , London (Greater)
- Senior Art Director (temp to perm) Major Players negotiable, London
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Bosch secures sponsorship deal with Channel 4's Sunday Brunch