NBA signs deal with Thomson Sport ahead of debut UK game
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Thursday, 03 February 2011 08:30AM
Travel company Thomson Sport has heightened its interest in US sport by signing a major sponsorship deal with the NBA ahead of its first-ever UK game at London's O2 in March.
Thomson is bidding to ramp up its commercial relationships with US sports. The NBA deal comes just months after it signed a similar contract with the NFL.
The TUI Travel-owned sport specialist travel agency will offer travel packages to future NBA professional games played in Europe.
Thomson Sport, as official presenting partner and official European fan travel partner of NBA games, will receive prominent brand exposure around game held at The O2.
It will also be granted brand exposure at the NBA's website, NBA.com, where it will present a new editorial feature highlighting its travel services.
The NBA, like the NFL, is targeting new markets to enhance its appeal outside its core US business.
Thomson Sport is supporting NBA Basketball Week, a week-long series of basketball events, which will take place across the UK from 25 February to 5 March.
The deal is "multiyear" but the specific length has not been disclosed.
The match at London's O2 is between the New Jersey Nets and the Toronto Raptors in the first week of March.
Claire Brand, director, rights activation, TUI Travel Sport division, said: "We are delighted that one of our sport businesses, Thomson Sport, has been named the NBA's Official European Fan Travel Partner and look forward to making basketball more accessible to its large European fan base."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Paid Social Manager - Leading Media Agency - Biddable Media Ultimate Asset £28000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Freelance Planner - FMCG, Pitches & Government Business Speckled Frog £250-£300 daily rate, possibly negotiable, dependent on experience, Central London
- Brand and Marketing Manager sipsmith Up to £30,000 = Benefits (including gin!), Chiswick. London