Turkey of Super Bowl 2011
Daniel Farey-Jones winced when he viewed the Super Bowl Groupon 'Tibet' ad by Crispin Porter & Bogusky.
The ad begins in the style of an appeal about Tibet with a voiceover intoning "the people of Tibet are in trouble, their very culture in jeopardy ... but they still manage to whip up and amazing fish curry." It turns out Groupon can get you Tibetan food for a discount.
"The ad trivialises a complex political situation, not to mention the 'joke' that falls flat. What next, Groupon discounts on holidays in Egypt? Shouldn't advertising bulk buying be about charming as many people as possible rather than causing mass offence? I think agencies should start lining up for a Groupon ad review."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing Assistant Haymarket Media Group Depending on experience, Teddington, Middlesex
- Midweight Art Director Major Players £40000 - £50000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Account Manager Live Recruitment £28000 - £40000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Mid/Senior Digital PM - Exciting Digital Agency - £45k Digital Gurus £40000 - £45000 per annum, London