Turkey of Super Bowl 2011
By Daniel Farey-Jones, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 08 February 2011 12:00PM
Daniel Farey-Jones winced when he viewed the Super Bowl Groupon 'Tibet' ad by Crispin Porter & Bogusky.
The ad begins in the style of an appeal about Tibet with a voiceover intoning "the people of Tibet are in trouble, their very culture in jeopardy ... but they still manage to whip up and amazing fish curry." It turns out Groupon can get you Tibetan food for a discount.
"The ad trivialises a complex political situation, not to mention the 'joke' that falls flat. What next, Groupon discounts on holidays in Egypt? Shouldn't advertising bulk buying be about charming as many people as possible rather than causing mass offence? I think agencies should start lining up for a Groupon ad review."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior PR Account Executive AF Selection £22000 - £23000 per annum, Manchester
- Digital Project Manager. #WEBBUILDS #MOBILEAPPS #TABLETAPPS Creative Recruitment £35000 - £45000 per annum, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 p.a., South East England
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 p.a., London (Greater)
- Marketing Executive Ball & Hoolahan £28,000 p.a., London (Greater)
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- The man who made Grey matter
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch