Turkey of Super Bowl 2011
By Daniel Farey-Jones, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 08 February 2011 12:00PM
Daniel Farey-Jones winced when he viewed the Super Bowl Groupon 'Tibet' ad by Crispin Porter & Bogusky.
The ad begins in the style of an appeal about Tibet with a voiceover intoning "the people of Tibet are in trouble, their very culture in jeopardy ... but they still manage to whip up and amazing fish curry." It turns out Groupon can get you Tibetan food for a discount.
"The ad trivialises a complex political situation, not to mention the 'joke' that falls flat. What next, Groupon discounts on holidays in Egypt? Shouldn't advertising bulk buying be about charming as many people as possible rather than causing mass offence? I think agencies should start lining up for a Groupon ad review."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Account Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £30,000, Greater Manchester
- Communications Assistant AF Selection £16,000 - £20,000, Birmingham, West Midlands
- Digital Account Manager - Brand Accounts!! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits + Great Agency Culture, City of London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater), South East England
- Customer Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham