Warner Bros adds movie service to Facebook
By Katherine Levy, brandrepublic.com, Tuesday, 08 March 2011 09:00AM
Warner Bros has become the first major studio to launch an online film rental service on Facebook, enabling users to watch a film within the social network site for $3 (£1.90) or 30 Facebook credits.
Starting today, consumers will be able to rent a film from Warner Bros. Entertainment’s Facebook movie pages, courtesy of Warner Bros Digital Distribution (WBDD).
The service is currently only available in the United States and Warner Bros has not yet scheduled a global roll out.
Users on Warner Bros Entertainment’s Facebook movie pages will need to click on the "rent" icon by the film they wish to watch and either pay in dollars or Facebook Credits – the virtual Facebook currency – to rent each film.
Renters will be able to keep the film on their Facebook account for up to 48 hours from purchase.
Users can choose to watch a film in full screen, pause the movie, and resume playing it when they log back into Facebook. They will also have full Facebook functionality including the ability to post comments on the movie, interact with friends and update their status while watching.
The first film available for rent is Christopher Nolan’s ‘The Dark Knight’. Consumers can rent the title through its official Facebook Page.
Additional titles will be made available for rental on a regular basis over the coming months.
Warner Bros intends to expand the program to offer digital movie purchases where users will pay to own the film indefinitely.
Thomas Gewecke, president of Warner Bros Digital Distribution, said: "Making our films available through Facebook is a natural extension of our digital distribution efforts.
"It gives consumers a simple, convenient way to access and enjoy our films through the world’s largest social network."
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Brand Manager; Luxury Goods GoodEgg Digital Up to £45k plus terrific benefits, Gatwick, West Sussex
- Society Marketing Manager - Global Publishing House Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Company Benefits Package, Oxford, Oxfordshire
- Digital Marketing Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Peterborough
- Technical SEO Account Manager - Leading Mid-size Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Tait replaces Papworth as W&K's ECD
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'