Greggs buoyed by £1.99 breakfasts
By John Reynolds, brandrepublic.com, Wednesday, 16 March 2011 09:05AM
Greggs, the high-street baker, has reported a 7.9% lift in pre-tax profits to £52.5m, bolstered by the performance of its £1.99 breakfasts and new shop openings.
Greggs reported revenues of £662m in the year ending January 2011, up 0.2% on the previous 12 months.
In the 12-month period, Greggs said it had a record number of new shop openings and refits, an overall net addition of 68 new shops. Pre-tax profits were up from £48.4m to £52.5m.
Greggs is bidding to pinch market share from high-street coffee chains, such as Costa Coffee and Starbucks, by rolling out coffee machines that serve freshly ground Fairtrade drinks in its outlets.
The baker claims its coffee trades at around 40% cheaper than branded coffee operators. It is currently available in 1,100 Greggs outlets, but will fully roll out this year.
Along with its coffee, Greggs is throwing its weight behind its breakfast menu – the focus of its "home of fresh baking" campaign.
Its morning offering has been increased to include porridge, croissants, pain au chocolat and fruit smoothies
The company, in its outlook, said: "2011 will present some significant challenges to UK retailers given the prevailing economic environment. However, I believe that our reputation for great value, the growing benefits of our move to a centrally run business and our cash-generative model mean that we are well placed to make progress despite these challenges."
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Sports! Cross Platform Creative Solutions Manager Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential & Bens, London
- Agency Account Director- Programmatic Video Platform Ultimate Asset £45000 - £60000 per annum + commission & benefits, London
- Account Manager EMEA - Ad-tech Company Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + bonus & benefits , London
- Senior PR Account MAnager - Digital AF Selection £30000 - £35000 per annum, Manchester
- Senior Account Director Pitch Consultants £48000 - £55000 per annum + benefits, West Midlands
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- The man who made Grey matter
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- Heineken selects Publicis Worldwide to be lead global creative agency
- Programmatic adspend nears £1bn and doubles for mobile