Associated ad revenue growth slows
Underlying advertising revenue growth at Daily Mail and Metro publisher Associated Newspapers has slowed to 2% year on year in the quarter to date.
The underlying figure excludes a number of businesses disposed of or closed, such as London Lite.
A trading update from Associated's parent company today (28 March) stated advertising revenue growth had weakened over the months since October and November, which had shown a positive trend.
The fourth calendar quarter of 2010 (DMGT's first financial quarter) had shown 6% underlying advertising revenue growth. The company blamed tougher comparatives for the slowdown.
For the five-month period to the end of February, Associated's total revenues were up 2%, with underlying advertising revenues up 5% and underlying circulation revenues down 2%.
The picture continued to worsen at DMGT's regional newspaper division, Northcliffe Media.
Advertising revenues were down 12% in the quarter to March so far, a deterioration on the 6% decline in the previous quarter.
For the five-month period to the end of February, Northcliffe's total revenues were down 8%, with circulation revenues down 3% and advertising revenues down 8%.
Headcount at A&N Media, the umbrella company for the two operations, was down by 7% – 520 people including 317 at Northcliffe – over the period.
At a group level, DMGT, which also owns a number of business-to-business operations, reported 2% revenue growth for the five-month period to the end of February.
In November DMGT reported pre-tax profits of £146.3m for the year to 3 October, buoyed by cost cutting and the record performance of its Daily Mail and Metro titles.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Designer - World Renowned Branding Agency (London) Twist Recruitment £35000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + BENEFITS AND BONUS SCHEME, East London
- Senior Planner (DM Agency) Dynamic New Alliances £45000.00 - £60000.00 per annum, City of London
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Bosch secures sponsorship deal with Channel 4's Sunday Brunch