Disney rolls out parade for Disneymedia+ launch
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 01 April 2011 09:10AM
Disney UK has launched an integrated marketing and media initiative, Disneymedia+, which includes plans to debut street parades, in an effort to better unify its brands.
Disneymedia+ was launched yesterday (31 March) in London by key Disney executives, including Tom Christie-Miller, chief marketing officer of UK & Ireland.
Critics argue that Disney UK is late in exploiting the combined commercial power of its brands, and sources said Disney’s brands - which run across TV, film, and events - have been run silo-like until now.
Disneymedia+ is aimed at better leveraging Disney’s relationships with its marketing partners outside of the US.
For example, in the case of events, Disney for the first time will actively seek out exclusive marketing partners to sponsor Disney parades – the colourful street shows which feature Mickey Mouse and other characters.
Christie-Miller said the parades could be tailored for different brands and claimed, as an example, automotive brands could be interested in the initiative.
Outside of the UK, Nestlé has sponsored a parade and Christie-Miller believes parades could form a key part of Disney’s marketing offensive in the UK.
Other Disneymedia+ examples given could involve a laundry brand creating Disney-branded events, giving away fairytales books, and Disney competitions. Alternatively, a Europe-wide deal between a tech company and the Muppets could involve events and branded phones.
The initiative, which Disney said will not lead to job losses, will mean that advertisers can tailor their marketing campaigns to particular demographics.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £65 - £80K + benefits. , Central London
- Strategic Research Consultant Rare Selection £35 - £45K + 20% bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Strategist / Senior Brand Planner Rare Selection Up to £75K + benefits, including pension, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Consultant Rare Selection Up to £48500 + non contributory pension + additional benefits, Surrey
- Senior Brand Strategist / Planning Director Rare Selection Up to £65000 + excellent benefits, including pension and bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK
- O2 launches 'walk' campaign with Ed Sheeran
- BBH London promotes Caroline Pay to deputy ECD
- ASA bans 'strongly sexual' Giffgaff ad
- Hammerson uses automated mechanical model to showcase Christmas gifts