Disney rolls out parade for Disneymedia+ launch
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 01 April 2011 09:10AM
Disney UK has launched an integrated marketing and media initiative, Disneymedia+, which includes plans to debut street parades, in an effort to better unify its brands.
Disneymedia+ was launched yesterday (31 March) in London by key Disney executives, including Tom Christie-Miller, chief marketing officer of UK & Ireland.
Critics argue that Disney UK is late in exploiting the combined commercial power of its brands, and sources said Disney’s brands - which run across TV, film, and events - have been run silo-like until now.
Disneymedia+ is aimed at better leveraging Disney’s relationships with its marketing partners outside of the US.
For example, in the case of events, Disney for the first time will actively seek out exclusive marketing partners to sponsor Disney parades – the colourful street shows which feature Mickey Mouse and other characters.
Christie-Miller said the parades could be tailored for different brands and claimed, as an example, automotive brands could be interested in the initiative.
Outside of the UK, Nestlé has sponsored a parade and Christie-Miller believes parades could form a key part of Disney’s marketing offensive in the UK.
Other Disneymedia+ examples given could involve a laundry brand creating Disney-branded events, giving away fairytales books, and Disney competitions. Alternatively, a Europe-wide deal between a tech company and the Muppets could involve events and branded phones.
The initiative, which Disney said will not lead to job losses, will mean that advertisers can tailor their marketing campaigns to particular demographics.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Digital Designer Source £27000 - £32000 per annum, London
- Planner EMO Unlimited... £25,000-£33,000 per annum + comprehensive benefits package, Bristol (City Centre), City of Bristol