TUI MD calls on Cameron to boost outbound tourism
Johan Lundgren, managing director of TUI Travel, Northern Region, has welcomed the prime minister's focus on tourism over the past year but says the UK economy still needs outbound tourism.
Lundgren, at the ABTA Travel Matters conference in London today, said David Cameron needs to "boost the whole UK economy" by focusing on outbound tourism as well as inbound tourism around the London 2012 Olympic Games and the Royal Wedding.
Each year 20 million people travel overseas from the UK on holiday and 6.5 million will use TUI Travel, he said.
Outbound tourism is a sector worth £10bn a year, employs 60,000 people and is a "driving force" for the UK economy.
Lundgren cited the volcanic ash cloud crisis of 2010 as one example of loss of revenue to the outbound travel industry, in which TUI Travel suffered a loss of £100m.
The recent events of Egypt and Tunisia cost TUI between £25m and £30m in the first six months.
Lundgren said: "Clearly, the outbound tourism industry does need the support of the Government."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager (Branding) air recruitment Up to £38K (dependent on experience) plus benefits and bonuses, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Account Manager and Senior Account Manager air recruitment £32k - £41k dependent on your experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Nissan creates tactical ad 7 mins after royal baby no. 2 announcement
- Advertising tech companies make up fifth of Britain's fastest-growing businesses
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- TV body Barb to track viewing via tablets
- Reebok Classics brand film champions 'Madchester' revival
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4