TUI MD calls on Cameron to boost outbound tourism
Johan Lundgren, managing director of TUI Travel, Northern Region, has welcomed the prime minister's focus on tourism over the past year but says the UK economy still needs outbound tourism.
Lundgren, at the ABTA Travel Matters conference in London today, said David Cameron needs to "boost the whole UK economy" by focusing on outbound tourism as well as inbound tourism around the London 2012 Olympic Games and the Royal Wedding.
Each year 20 million people travel overseas from the UK on holiday and 6.5 million will use TUI Travel, he said.
Outbound tourism is a sector worth £10bn a year, employs 60,000 people and is a "driving force" for the UK economy.
Lundgren cited the volcanic ash cloud crisis of 2010 as one example of loss of revenue to the outbound travel industry, in which TUI Travel suffered a loss of £100m.
The recent events of Egypt and Tunisia cost TUI between £25m and £30m in the first six months.
Lundgren said: "Clearly, the outbound tourism industry does need the support of the Government."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £65 - £80K + benefits. , Central London
- Strategic Research Consultant Rare Selection £35 - £45K + 20% bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Strategist / Senior Brand Planner Rare Selection Up to £75K + benefits, including pension, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Consultant Rare Selection Up to £48500 + non contributory pension + additional benefits, Surrey
- Senior Brand Strategist / Planning Director Rare Selection Up to £65000 + excellent benefits, including pension and bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK
- O2 launches 'walk' campaign with Ed Sheeran
- BBH London promotes Caroline Pay to deputy ECD
- ASA bans 'strongly sexual' Giffgaff ad
- Hammerson uses automated mechanical model to showcase Christmas gifts