TUI MD calls on Cameron to boost outbound tourism
Johan Lundgren, managing director of TUI Travel, Northern Region, has welcomed the prime minister's focus on tourism over the past year but says the UK economy still needs outbound tourism.
Lundgren, at the ABTA Travel Matters conference in London today, said David Cameron needs to "boost the whole UK economy" by focusing on outbound tourism as well as inbound tourism around the London 2012 Olympic Games and the Royal Wedding.
Each year 20 million people travel overseas from the UK on holiday and 6.5 million will use TUI Travel, he said.
Outbound tourism is a sector worth £10bn a year, employs 60,000 people and is a "driving force" for the UK economy.
Lundgren cited the volcanic ash cloud crisis of 2010 as one example of loss of revenue to the outbound travel industry, in which TUI Travel suffered a loss of £100m.
The recent events of Egypt and Tunisia cost TUI between £25m and £30m in the first six months.
Lundgren said: "Clearly, the outbound tourism industry does need the support of the Government."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing & Communictions Manager H20 Car Valeting Centres Entry Level of £45,000-£55,000 + Bonus, Car (a very clean one!), Birmingham, West Midlands
- Business Development Manager Twist Recruitment £30000.00 - £40000.00 per annum + commission structure + benefits, Manchester
- Business Development Director Major Players £60000 - £70000 per hour + Bonus and benefits , City of London
- Coco de Mer launches X-rated ad with Rankin and TBWA
- Fallon introduces stuffed duck to launch Cadbury Puddles
- Betfair to call £15m European media review
- Dave Bedwood to leave M&C Saatchi
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Wonga rebrands as 'transparent and responsible' lender after hiring Fold7