TUI MD calls on Cameron to boost outbound tourism
Johan Lundgren, managing director of TUI Travel, Northern Region, has welcomed the prime minister's focus on tourism over the past year but says the UK economy still needs outbound tourism.
Lundgren, at the ABTA Travel Matters conference in London today, said David Cameron needs to "boost the whole UK economy" by focusing on outbound tourism as well as inbound tourism around the London 2012 Olympic Games and the Royal Wedding.
Each year 20 million people travel overseas from the UK on holiday and 6.5 million will use TUI Travel, he said.
Outbound tourism is a sector worth £10bn a year, employs 60,000 people and is a "driving force" for the UK economy.
Lundgren cited the volcanic ash cloud crisis of 2010 as one example of loss of revenue to the outbound travel industry, in which TUI Travel suffered a loss of £100m.
The recent events of Egypt and Tunisia cost TUI between £25m and £30m in the first six months.
Lundgren said: "Clearly, the outbound tourism industry does need the support of the Government."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Retail Store Designer Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £33000 per annum + bonus and benefits, London
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show