IPA puts skills on agenda under Mendelsohn's leadership
By Daniel Farey-Jones, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 06 April 2011 04:20PM
The IPA is to partner with organisations including Google, Facebook and Skillset in a bid to enhance the skills base of the ad industry.
The move was revealed by new IPA president Nicola Mendelsohn in her inaugural speech, in which she stated an aim to "inject fresh talent to our industry".
Mendelsohn addressed an audience of around 350 people at the IPA's annual lunch today.
Read the full text of Mendelsohn's speech here.
Google will provide the funding to invest in a digital skills programme to be attended by 100 graduates sourced by Skillset, the creative media training body.
The IPA will also offer training in multiplatform technology with The BBC Academy.
Facebook will be involved in training programmes for IPA members and sponsor a new prize within the IPA Effectiveness Awards. There will also be an event for IPA member agencies to see Facebook Studio Live, Facebook's creative showcase.
Stating a desire to build relationships with other creative industries, Mendelsohn said she would lead an IPA council study tour to California in November.
This will visit the Hollywood film industry and digital companies in Silicon Valley.
"I want the leading creative lights of the Valley and Hollywood to think of the UK first, before they think of Madison Avenue," she said.
The IPA will also engage with PACT, the UK's independent TV and film production association, and UKIE, which represents gaming content providers.
The discussions are intended to investigate ways of getting the three associations' members to collaborate more effective and "adequately gain royalties from our combined content creation skills and IP".
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Digital Designer (Fashion, Conceptual, Photoshop, InDesign) Creative Recruitment £30000 - £37000 per annum, London
- Campaign Manager Nu Creative Talent £40-45k + bonus, London
- Project Manager Tomorrow Recruitment £25000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, East London
- UI Design Manager Zebra People £65000 - £70000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Account Manager CIG Healthcare Partnership £30K - £35K dependent on experience, London (Greater)
- Will.i.am clashes with Martin Sorrell over online ads in Cannes
- UK agencies win 7 Media Lions
- Twitter to embrace power of TV in UK ad campaign
- Martin Sorrell on the mega-media reviews: 'We can't remember anything like this'
- Aston Martin appoints WPP to global marketing account
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy