Metro poaches Mirror exec to lead Olympic push
By John Reynolds, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 26 April 2011 11:20AM
Metro, the free morning newspaper, has poached Mirror Group Newspapers executive David Vokes to head up its London 2012 commercial operations.
He joined Mirror Group Newspapers in 2009 as sports sponsorship manager. He was responsible for all sport sponsorship opportunities across the group's national newspapers and their accompanying websites.
Metro was unable to confirm Vokes' exact remit, but he is expected to head its London 2012 Olympic commercial operations in a new role.
Metro is believed to be planning a number of initiatives around the Olympics, including distributing the paper outside the Olympic stadium, in an effort to gain an advantage over its competitors.
The newspaper has already undertaken a number of commercial ventures aimed at capitalising on brands' desire to communicate around the Olympics.
Last year Metro teamed up with Lloyds TSB and published a special supplement to mark the countdown to London 2012. It has also published a cover wrap to mark the launch of ticket sales for the Games.
Mirror Group Newspapers has yet to appoint a replacement for Vokes.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - INTEGRATED MARKETING AGENCY Live Recruitment £28000 - £32000 per annum, Surrey
- 2D Illustrator - Games - London - £28,000-£33,000 Red Sofa London £28000 - £33000 per annum, London
- Recruitment Consultant - marketing Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Creative Web Designer Forward Role Recruitment £35,000 - 45,000, Manchester - Cheshire
- Coco de Mer launches X-rated ad with Rankin and TBWA
- Campaign Viral Chart: Huggies 3D-printed ultrascan makes top spot
- Fallon introduces stuffed duck to launch Cadbury Puddles
- Betfair to call £15m European media review
- Dave Bedwood to leave M&C Saatchi
- Wonga rebrands as 'transparent and responsible' lender after hiring Fold7