EasyJet business ad banned after Ryanair complaint
By Daniel Farey-Jones, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 27 April 2011 12:01AM
EasyJet's push into the business travel market has run into opposition from Ryanair, which successfully complained about its rival's "we charge you less" claim.
The airline ran a press ad headlined "The new shape of business travel," as part of a play to attract more custom for work-related trips.
Ryanair said the ad's "we charge you less" claim was misleading because its fares were cheaper than easyJet's on a number of routes.
In response, easyJet said Ryanair was not included in the comparison because Ryanair did not fly to the same main airports as easyJet or offer an equivalent product to the business traveller.
The Advertising Standards Authority banned the ad, ruling it breached rules on misleading advertising, substantiation and comparison.
It reasoned the ad did not make clear the nature of the comparison being made in the "we charge you less" ad, and there was a likelihood that consumers would believe travel on all other airlines had been included in the price comparison.
An easyJet spokeswoman said: "EasyJet is happy to comply with the ASA's ruling on this technical point. We were surprised to hear that Ryanair had concerns over this advertisement, as it is the first time that they have ever expressed any interest in the business traveller."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Partnership Marketing Stonor £24k - £32k dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Sales Executive / Lead Generator Stonor Completely depends on level of experience - £25K - £45K, Berkshire / Hertfordshire / Amersham, Buckinghamshire / Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire / Watford, H...
- Mid-Senior Designer - B2B Marketing Agency - Berks - £32k - NP103 Stonor £28k - £32k, Berkshire / Buckinghamshire / Oxfordshire / Surrey
- Mid-weight Designer - Creative Agency - Hertfordshire - £25k - £35k - NP105 Stonor £25k - £35k, Hertfordshire / Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire / Luton, Bedfordshire / St Albans, Hertfordshire /...