VW launches Super Bowl ad sensation 'Darth Vader' in UK
Volkswagen is launching its popular Darth Vader Super Bowl ad in the UK today to promote its 2012 Passat.
The ad, created by Deutsch, which has become a YouTube sensation with 37 million hits, features a pint-sized Darth Vader trying to use the force to move various objects.
Having featured in a trial spot in Hyde Park last Friday on screens erected for spectators watching the Royal Wedding, the spot will air on TV screens today and run for six weeks. The ad has not been modified for a UK audience.
Volkswagen's UK communications manager, Danny Hill, said: "It's a charming ad with great music and has the universal appeal of Star Wars. It captures the imagination and ties in well with our message about the Passat's clever technology. It was such a success in the States that it seemed a shame not to share it with a wider UK audience."
Volkswagen’s Facebook page features an interview with the young boy in the ad and outtake clips from the 'making of' the advertisement.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Paid Social Manager Lipton Fleming £32000 - £42000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- Events Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Agency Account Manager/Director (Outdoor) Lipton Fleming £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum + 25% bonus, London
- Head of Brand Marketing Stopgap £60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits, Surrey
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart