Boots Opticians sales slide as group profits soar
By Ed Owen, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 16 May 2011 09:25AM
Like-for-like sales at Boots in the year to 31 March rose just 0.5% to £6.4bn, while like-for-like sales at Boots Opticians fell 2.4% to £329m, but profits jumped 38% to £673m.
Switzerland-based Alliance Boots, which owns the Boots and Boots Opticians brands in the UK, saw overall sales surge by 10.6% to £23.3bn, driven by a 23.6% increase in sales at its pharmaceutical wholesale division.
Pre-tax profits for the group increased by 38% to £673m.
Stefano Pessina, executive chairman of Alliance Boots, said: "Alliance Boots continues to perform strongly, delivering a double digit growth in trading profit through a combination of organic growth and acquisitions, while at the same time reducing net borrowings.
"Looking to the year ahead, we are planning for consumer demand to be subdued and expect governments to continue to seek ways to contain growth in healthcare expenditure. In spite of this, we are confident about our future prospects both in the short and longer term.
Boots chief executive Andy Hornby resigned in March.
The company launched a new campaign last month, created by Mother, to take advantage of families heading into the garden for the extended Easter breaks.
Rival Superdrug is to launch a loyalty card to compete with Boots' Advantage offering, which allows customers to redeem points with brands such as Asos, Apple, Thomas Cook and the RAC.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Interactive Digital Designer: (Mobile, Tablet, Web, Smartphone) Creative Recruitment £28000 - £33000 per annum + Negotiable, London
- Digital Designer & Content Manager (Website, Rich Media) Creative Recruitment £33000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Senior Optimisation Manager (RTB) Digital Gurus £25000 - £42000 per annum, London
- Senior Category Manager - Tesco Jarlett de Grouchy £55000 - £60000 per annum + Car Allowance + Benefits, Weybridge
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push