VW Commercial returns to TV after 5-year hiatus
By Sara Kimberley, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 20 May 2011 11:22AM
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is launching its first TV ad campaign in five years to coincide with the climax of the football season.
The 60-second spot, created by Iris, will launch during Sunday's Sky Sport's coverage of the final matches of the Premier League season.
Running across TV and radio, the activity has been planned and bought by MediaCom and runs for six weeks.
Set against the Beach Boys' 'God Only Knows' track, the ad moves away from promoting a specific model and instead focuses on the brand’s heritage, emphasising the relationship between owners, drivers and their vans.
It features a man polishing his VW campervan, a RAC breakdown vehicle and a pick up van.
Shaun McIlrath, Iris's executive creative director, worked on the ad alongside deputy creative directors Phil Kitching and Lou Bogue. Judy Ross produced the ad, which was directed by Tony Barry. Academy was the production company behind the ad.
McIlrath said: "VW commercial vehicles hold a unique place in the affections of their owners. In research we were amazed by how many people consistently used the word "love" when describing VW vans.
"There's 60 years of heritage, reliability and iconic design, but what came across most was a real sense of the bond between the owner and the vehicle they rely on – whether that's an original Transporter from the 1950's or the latest Sportline model. It's a partnership and we wanted to bring that relationship to life."
Adrian Brook, media manager of Mediacom, said: "Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has had a very close emotional connection with their drivers for over 60 years and this campaign aims to celebrate this relationship."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- PPC Specialist - Amazing Digital Brand ADLIB £22k - £28k, Bristol
- Research Executive Hasson Associates £23000 - £26000 per annum, London
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Tango returns to advertising after two years with off-brand TV ad
- Why D&AD's first Black Pencil for Radio in 32 years is significant