VW Commercial returns to TV after 5-year hiatus
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is launching its first TV ad campaign in five years to coincide with the climax of the football season.
The 60-second spot, created by Iris, will launch during Sunday's Sky Sport's coverage of the final matches of the Premier League season.
Running across TV and radio, the activity has been planned and bought by MediaCom and runs for six weeks.
Set against the Beach Boys' 'God Only Knows' track, the ad moves away from promoting a specific model and instead focuses on the brand’s heritage, emphasising the relationship between owners, drivers and their vans.
It features a man polishing his VW campervan, a RAC breakdown vehicle and a pick up van.
Shaun McIlrath, Iris's executive creative director, worked on the ad alongside deputy creative directors Phil Kitching and Lou Bogue. Judy Ross produced the ad, which was directed by Tony Barry. Academy was the production company behind the ad.
McIlrath said: "VW commercial vehicles hold a unique place in the affections of their owners. In research we were amazed by how many people consistently used the word "love" when describing VW vans.
"There's 60 years of heritage, reliability and iconic design, but what came across most was a real sense of the bond between the owner and the vehicle they rely on – whether that's an original Transporter from the 1950's or the latest Sportline model. It's a partnership and we wanted to bring that relationship to life."
Adrian Brook, media manager of Mediacom, said: "Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has had a very close emotional connection with their drivers for over 60 years and this campaign aims to celebrate this relationship."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Exec | Travel | £30k Salt £25000 - £35000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Category Development Manager - Leading FMCG Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£46K + Generous Car Allowance + Benefits Package, London (Greater)
- Senior Shopper Insights Manager - Leading FMCG Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £55K-£62K + Generous Car Allowance + Bonus, London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 per annum, South West England