Google hires P&G digital exec to drive YouTube sales
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 10:12AM
Google has hired Lucas Watson, digital marketing executive at Procter & Gamble, as vice president, sales and marketing for YouTube and video.
The appointment marks a coup for Google as Watson is rated P&G's top digital executive.
Watson joined P&G as marketing director, digital brand-building strategy and global ecommerce, three years ago, to enhance its digital marketing and ecommerce capabilities, at a time when the FMCG giant unveiled plans to grow its digital investment.
During his time in the role, the company rolled out a widely-acclaimed 'Responses' campaign for Old Spice, which became a YouTube hit. It also recently introduced a digital beauty magazine.
It is understood that Watson will be looking to bring greater TV ad investment to the video site.
Lucas will report to Henrique de Castro, global president, media, mobile and platforms at Google. It is unclear when Watson will take up his new role but it is likely to be after 1 July.
Watson was about to move to a new marketing director role in P&G's personal healthcare global business unit, based in Panama, before he was hired by Google.
According to P&G, he had shared his intent to leave the company at the end of May.
He continues to work on transition with Laviz as she takes over the digital marketing duties at P&G on 1 July.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Marketing Communications Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £28000 per annum, Worcester
- Design Director - Brand Design and Packaging Agency - London - £55k - £60k - NP143 Stonor £55k - £60k, London (Greater)
- Traffic Planning Manager Premier Consultants c. £40,000 plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- PR Account Manager / Senior Account Manager Network Career Consultants £30000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Johnnie Walker calls global ad review
- Adam & Eve/DDB wins 2014 IPA Effectiveness Awards Grand Prix
- Enjoyed getting an hour back on Sunday? You'll get years back if you stop smoking, says charity
- Tiffany & Co hires MEC for $100m global media
- Mattessons Fridge Raiders campaign delivers AI robot to YouTube gamer
- Lloyds reviews media planning and buying