Google hires P&G digital exec to drive YouTube sales
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 24 May 2011 10:12AM
Google has hired Lucas Watson, digital marketing executive at Procter & Gamble, as vice president, sales and marketing for YouTube and video.
The appointment marks a coup for Google as Watson is rated P&G's top digital executive.
Watson joined P&G as marketing director, digital brand-building strategy and global ecommerce, three years ago, to enhance its digital marketing and ecommerce capabilities, at a time when the FMCG giant unveiled plans to grow its digital investment.
During his time in the role, the company rolled out a widely-acclaimed 'Responses' campaign for Old Spice, which became a YouTube hit. It also recently introduced a digital beauty magazine.
It is understood that Watson will be looking to bring greater TV ad investment to the video site.
Lucas will report to Henrique de Castro, global president, media, mobile and platforms at Google. It is unclear when Watson will take up his new role but it is likely to be after 1 July.
Watson was about to move to a new marketing director role in P&G's personal healthcare global business unit, based in Panama, before he was hired by Google.
According to P&G, he had shared his intent to leave the company at the end of May.
He continues to work on transition with Laviz as she takes over the digital marketing duties at P&G on 1 July.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Ad Ops Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sales Manager Lipton Fleming £40000 - £50000 per annum + Uncapped OTE, London
- Account Manager AF Selection £28,000 plus company car, East Midlands Region / Leicestershire / Nottinghamshire / Derby, Derbyshire / Leicester, Leiceste...
- Analytics Manager | 3 months Contract Salt £350 - £450 per day, City of London
- KitKat's mocking Apple tweet outperforms Oreo's Superbowl
- TfL launches selfie campaign to encourage people to get home safely
- Social Media Week: what social media has taught us
- Argos releases alien swan song ad
- 13 ways to create a winning print ad
- Triumph launches Magic Wire bra with Twitter search for women's niggles