Struq debuts opt-out online ad units
By Daniel Farey-Jones, brandrepublic.com, Friday, 27 May 2011 03:15PM
Online behavioural advertising company Struq has started serving ads for All Saints which allow the viewer to control and opt out of Struq ads, either entirely or by advertiser, within the ad unit instead of going to a new page.
The clothing retailer's pilot testing of the Ad Pad unit, which Struq's founder Sam Barnett claims is the first to give users control within the ad, comes in the same week the new law on cookies took effect.
Struq, which enables advertisers to serve targeted and retargeted ads based on users' browsing history, believes the level of control the unit gives users makes staying opted-in more attractive for them than opting-out.
The unit features the same "i" logo featured in the cross-industry Online Behavioural Advertising (OBA) framework led by IAB Europe, to which Struq is a signatory.
Rolling over the "i" logo prompts the message "edit your ad", which when clicked takes the user to a menu.
Users can confirm or withdraw interest in products featured in the All Saints ad, turning off ads from All Saints, and turning off all Struq ads.
The menu also carries a link through to the IAB's Your Online Choices guide to online behavioural advertising.
Yesterday the new law on e-privacy, requiring companies using most types of cookies to get explicit consent from internet users, came into force.
However, the Government has backed a phased approach giving the industry time to come up with workable technical solutions. The Information Commissioner's Office, which is responsible for enforcing the regime, yesterday announced it would wait a year before doing so.
Struq has around 186 clients, according to Barnett, and typically works for large advertisers in a particular vertical on an exclusive basis.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Marketing Asssitant RoDO Ltd Competitive, Greater Manchester
- Digital Project Manager PFJ £25000.00 - £35000.00 per annum + benefits + bonus, London
- Strategic Planning Director - Multinational Advertising Agency - Dubai HR Source Very attractive TAX FREE salary, Dubai
- Marketing Manager Barclay Meade negotiable, Sandringham
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Tait replaces Papworth as W&K's ECD
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'