Go Compare, Cadbury, Ford and Lynx join C4's ad hijack
Go Compare, Cadbury, Ford and Lynx are among the brands which have signed up for Channel 4's ad hijack with Jimmy Carr during the 'Channel 4 Comedy Gala' tomorrow night (10 June).
Last year Carr spoke about and interacted with the ads over a single break in the 'Channel 4 Comedy Gala'. This year the hijacked ads will be spread across the programme and Carr will be joined by fellow comedian Alan Carr.
The hijacks have been devised by production company Open Mike in conjunction with Channel 4 and brands including Cravendale, Costa Coffee, EA game 'The Sims', Foster's and 0800 Reverse.
Daren Benton, deputy head of strategic sales at Channel 4, said: "Channel 4 is leading the way in innovating in how the ad break is used. The comedy breaks follow on from a number of initiatives over the past two years which have included live ads and themed ad breaks.
"The use of comedy ads in a comedy event produces standout for advertisers, higher engagement with the ads in those breaks and a really great experience for viewers. This is a model which works for Channel 4 as a broadcaster, for the advertisers and for the viewers at home, a real triple whammy."
Agencies involved in the hijacks include ZenithOptimedia (for Costa Coffee and Pedigree), MediaVest (Foster's), Carat (Cravendale), MediaCom (EA), PHD (Cadbury), MEC (Go Compare) and Mindshare (Ford and Lynx).
'Channel 4's Comedy Gala' is in aid of Great Ormond St Hospital and includes performances from Dara O Briain, Jack Dee, Jack Whitehall, Jo Brand, John Bishop, Jon Richardson, Jonathan Ross, Kevin Bridges, Lee Evans and Mark Watson.
The show also includes a performance from the band N Dubz and recorded video messages from Lady Gaga, 'Glee' actor Matthew Morrison, Russell Brand and Miranda Hart.
The original ad break hijack received a gold award for innovation at the 2010 Media Week Awards.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Account Director- Advertising Spectrum 360 Recruitment £45k - £60k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior PPC Manager Direct Recruitment £27,000 -£33,000, London
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Bosch secures sponsorship deal with Channel 4's Sunday Brunch