PR industry needs to 'wake up' and integrate, say Lions judges
By Anne Cassidy, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 20 June 2011 08:30PM
CANNES 2011: Ad agencies' domination of the PR Lions this year means the PR industry need to "wake up" and "integrate with other disciplines," according to the category's jury.
David Senay, PR Lions jury president and president and chief executive of Fleishman-Hillard, said excellence in PR "doesn't have an address" and labels matter much less because of the "mash up" of channels and disciplines.
He noted an element of "isolationism" in the industry and the need to "begin integrating in a more powerful way".
The jury was impressed with the high standard of the work on show but Senay said that when it came to marketing themselves for awards, ad agencies were "better at packaging" than PR companies, which still have a lot to learn.
He said: "We are at the nascent stage when it comes to competing at a global level with organisations that make a living doing this at Cannes."
The jury noted there were "not enough" PR agency entrants in the corporate category and consumer industry entrants, mostly from ad agencies, led the pack.
Entries for the PR Lions, which first launched in 2009, were up by 43% on last year, reflecting the growing relevance of PR principles as "central to the way we communicate and relate to each other," Senay said.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Retail Store Designer Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £33000 per annum + bonus and benefits, London
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show