UK agencies fail to win Cannes Direct Lions
By Matt Williams, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 20 June 2011 08:30PM
CANNES 2011: There was more disappointment for the UK at the 2011 Cannes Festival of Creativity, with UK-based agencies failing to win a single Direct Lion at tonight's awards.
McCann Erickson Bucharest followed up its Grand Prix in the Promo & Activation category by also winning the Direct Grand Prix, again thanks to its "American Rom" campaign for the chocolate bar brand Rom.
The award marks the first time that a Romanian agency has won a Grand Prix in any Cannes Lions category.
Nine other Gold Lions were also handed out, one of which went to the hotly-tipped "decode Jay-Z" campaign, created by Droga5 New York to promote Microsoft Bing.
Old Spice continued its run for Wieden & Kennedy Portland, winning a Gold for the "response" campaign.
Meanwhile, two more Gold Lions went to JWT New York, both for the Human Rights Watch "Burma" campaign.
The remaining Gold awards were split between Ogilvy Argentina, DDB Brasil and Cheil Worldwide.
Overall 57 Direct Lions were handed out, with Germany and the US sharing the honour of being the most awarded country, winning seven Lions each.
Brazilian agencies won six awards, while Sweden won five and Spain picked up four.
The result will be doubly disappointing for UK agencies considering last year Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO was named Direct Agency of the Year after a string of award-winning campaigns.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Do UK direct agencies lack big ideas?
- W+K leads the way for UK on Film Craft shortlist
- Claire Beale: Cannes gives industry more than mere Lions
- Why juries still love South American advertising
- Everyone's at the table now and it's very exciting, says Press jury president
- South Africa takes top spot at Radio Lions
- UK shows 'real lack of interest' in radio
- Initiative challenges assumptions of paid, earned and owned media
- Brazil sets the pace in Cannes Press shortlist with UK trailing
- UK agencies put in a no show in Radio Lions nominations
- planning Director Twist Recruitment £80000 - £100000 per annum, London
- Digital Account Manager [Beauty Account] - Excellent London Agency - to £30k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £30k + great benefits, Central London
- Account Manager - Superb Central London Agency - to £30k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £30k, Central London
- Trading Sales Mnager, major RTB platform Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + +20-30k bonus, London
- Agency digital trading desk Account Manager Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + agency bens, London
- Nature Valley awards integrated business to start-up
- LMFM challenges bakers to be Brave on World Baking Day
- Samsung strikes placement deal with The Wanted
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Fans take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Twitter-powered tennis game
- Jaguar readies global campaign for F-Type launch
What we can all learn from how Daft Punk won the web