RKCR/Y&R and DDB only UK winners in Press Lions
By Matt Williams, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 08:30PM
CANNES 2011: Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R and DDB UK were the only UK agencies to win Press Lions at this year's Cannes Festival of Creativity, in a category dominated by emerging markets.
JWT Shanghai picked up the Grand Prix for its "heaven & hell" campaign for luggage brand Samsonite.
The work demonstrated how a Samsonite suitcase can withstand the "hellish" strain forced upon it during a flight, an ordeal its owner is unaware of as he relaxes in First Class.
Tony Granger, the global chief creative officer of Y&R and president of the Press Jury, said: "Not only was the idea for the Samsonite campaign terrific, it was executed beautifully too."
RKCR/Y&R won a Press Silver Lions for the second year running, this time for its "passport stamps" ad for Land Rover.
DDB's bronze was awarded for its "summer sale" campaign for Harvey Nichols, a brand that regularly features among the awards in this category.
Overall, 99 Press Lions were handed out, including 10 Golds and 36 Silvers. For the second year running, it was the South American work that really stood out, with Brazil being the most-awarded country and scooping 20 Lions.
Following close behind was Argentina, with Germany carrying the flag for Europe in third place.
The UK's performance is all the more disappointing considering its strong showing in the category last year.
That time around, M&C Saatchi, Bartle Bogle Hegarty and DDB UK all won Golds, while RKCR/Y&R, JWT London and Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO also picked up Lions.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- The best of Cannes Lions
- Why juries still love South American advertising
- Nike's Fifa 2010 ad tipped for Film Lion
- Robert Redford talks brands at Cannes
- South Africa takes top spot at Radio Lions
- Manning Gottlieb OMD and PHD scoop Gold Media Lions
- Outdoor is the industry's future, says Rapier's Ed Morris
- Managing Director - Equity potential DU Group £120,000 - £150,000, South Oxfordshire
- Design Team Leader Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment GBP30000 - GBP35000 per annum, Buckinghamshire
- senior sponsorship manager (1 year contract) > ICONIC UK BRAND > MUSIC collectivo Up to £48k plus great co. bens, Central London
- Head of Marketing Fitness First £55,000 - £60,000 basic + car allowance + bonus + benefits, Poole / London Base
- Marketing Events Executive Stopgap £27000 per annum, London
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Fans take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Twitter-powered tennis game
- Campaign Viral Chart: Samsung scores hat-trick in tech-heavy chart
- Jaguar readies global campaign for F-Type launch
- ITV and Channel 4 insist they will beat declining ad market
- EE adds Dare to agency roster to develop digital
A demographic portrait of Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook users
A useful study here from the ‘Pew Research Center’ taking a look at the demographic make-up of US social media users across Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook. No data on LinkedIn of Google+, but great stats all the same.