Facebook unveils interactive unit and client council
By Noelle McElhatton, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Thursday, 23 June 2011 09:16AM
CANNES 2011: Facebook is set to unveil its client council initiative and new interactive ad unit, developed by Leo Burnett, at the Cannes Lions Festival.
In the last session yesterday (22 June) at the Cannes Lions advertising festival, delegates heard how Leo Burnett Chicago’s new Comment ad tool is the first developed by an ad agency for the social media giant.
The advertising tool lets brands inspire conversations among friends by posting a video, link, photo or status, to which people can respond.
Carolyn Everson, vice-president, global marketing solutions for Facebook, revealed the new ad unit as part of the company's efforts to entice brands beyond display ads and Facebook pages.
Everson told delegates: "Mark Zuckerberg [Facebook's founder] wants ads to be as useful as a comment from a friend."
Facebook is the world's largest social network and has nearly 700 million users.
In a presentation that overtly courted delegates from brand-owning companies – this year's Cannes Lions Festival has more brands attending than ever, organisers claim – Everson acknowledged that Facebook had a persuasion task on its hands.
She said: "We've been open about the fact that we're working with Nielsen to prove how Facebook and TV work together [as] we know we’ve got more to prove the effectiveness [of Facebook]."
As part of its consultation with brands, Facebook has created a client council. Everson revealed its first members include Wendy Clark, senior-vice president, integrated marketing communications and capabilities at Coca-Cola.
The social network has given Leo Burnett and its brand clients, including Hallmark and Samsung, exclusive use of Comment for two months.
In 2010, Facebook challenged agencies to create a new Facebook advertising unit that was "social by design".
Mark Renshaw, chief innovation officer of Leo Burnett USA, said Comment would allow brands "to tap into people's desire to participate beyond brands' Facebook Pages".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Director / Group Account Director, £70k - Digital MODA consult Around the £70k mark + excellent benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- ASPIRING ACCOUNT EXECUTIVES, SKILLED ACCOUNT MANAGERS & ACCOMPL Live Recruitment Negotiable, London
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Tango returns to advertising after two years with off-brand TV ad
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Why D&AD's first Black Pencil for Radio in 32 years is significant
- Procter & Gamble YouTube video banned