UK bags three nods for first Creative Effectiveness shortlist
By Matt Williams, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 24 June 2011 09:20AM
CANNES 2011: UK agencies have picked up three out of a total of 10 nominations for the first ever Cannes Lions Creative Effectiveness awards.
The category, which is the festival's first venture into strategy and effectiveness, recognises work that either made the shortlist or was victorious in the previous year, to assess whether the campaign actually worked in the marketplace.
Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO's "sandwich" campaign for Walkers, which helped the agency win the Direct Agency of the Year gong at last year's festival, is one of the UK campaigns shortlisted, and is tipped to be among the frontrunners to take home the Grand Prix.
DDB London also made the shortlist, earning a nomination for its "city streets" campaign for Hasbro, while Leo Burnett is also recognised, thanks to its "there's a McDonald's for everyone" work.
The US is the only country to earn more nominations than the UK, landing four entries, unsurprising considering the country put forward by far the largest amount of bids, submitting 27 of the 142.
Wieden+Kennedy's work for Old Spice, which won the Film Grand Prix in 2010, leads the US charge, with nominations also coming for BBH New York's "clean your balls" campaign for Axe, TBWA\Media Arts Lab's "Mac Vs PC" campaign for Apple, and BBDO New York's "you're not you when you're hungry" for Snickers.
Completing the shortlist is work from Italy, India and New Zealand. Italy's offering comes in the shape of JWT Milan's "are you still with us" campaign for Heineken, created to support the brand's sponsorship of the Champions League, while India's BBDO Mumbai earned a nomination for its work on Gillette Mach 3.
New Zealand's entry is a campaign for the TV programme 'The Pacific', created by Colenso BBDO Auckland.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Agency Account Executive - truly exciting multi-solution sell Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus + great benefits, West End
- Agency Group Head - exciting real-time social platform! Ultimate Asset £60000 - £70000 per annum + bonus, West End
- HEAD OF PROJECTS - DIGITAL AGENCY Live Recruitment Negotiable, City of London
- Ecommerce Content Manager - Travel brand - £40K + bonus Salt £38000 - £42000 per annum, London
- SEO/Social Media Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £23-28k + Benefits, Manchester
- Will.i.am clashes with Martin Sorrell over online ads in Cannes
- Twitter to embrace power of TV in UK ad campaign
- Martin Sorrell on the mega-media reviews: 'We can't remember anything like this'
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Aston Martin appoints WPP to global marketing account
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy