UK bags three nods for first Creative Effectiveness shortlist
By Matt Williams, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 24 June 2011 09:20AM
CANNES 2011: UK agencies have picked up three out of a total of 10 nominations for the first ever Cannes Lions Creative Effectiveness awards.
The category, which is the festival's first venture into strategy and effectiveness, recognises work that either made the shortlist or was victorious in the previous year, to assess whether the campaign actually worked in the marketplace.
Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO's "sandwich" campaign for Walkers, which helped the agency win the Direct Agency of the Year gong at last year's festival, is one of the UK campaigns shortlisted, and is tipped to be among the frontrunners to take home the Grand Prix.
DDB London also made the shortlist, earning a nomination for its "city streets" campaign for Hasbro, while Leo Burnett is also recognised, thanks to its "there's a McDonald's for everyone" work.
The US is the only country to earn more nominations than the UK, landing four entries, unsurprising considering the country put forward by far the largest amount of bids, submitting 27 of the 142.
Wieden+Kennedy's work for Old Spice, which won the Film Grand Prix in 2010, leads the US charge, with nominations also coming for BBH New York's "clean your balls" campaign for Axe, TBWA\Media Arts Lab's "Mac Vs PC" campaign for Apple, and BBDO New York's "you're not you when you're hungry" for Snickers.
Completing the shortlist is work from Italy, India and New Zealand. Italy's offering comes in the shape of JWT Milan's "are you still with us" campaign for Heineken, created to support the brand's sponsorship of the Champions League, while India's BBDO Mumbai earned a nomination for its work on Gillette Mach 3.
New Zealand's entry is a campaign for the TV programme 'The Pacific', created by Colenso BBDO Auckland.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Account Director - Off Oxford Street Agency Fill Recruitment to £55k + great benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 p.a., London (Central), London (Greater)
- Trade Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 p.a., London (Greater)
- CRM Executive Ball & Hoolahan £30,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Age UK launches 'no friends' ads in response to Facebook campaign
- Fold7 splits with Gocompare.com amid talk of Gio Compario's return
- Pizza Hut launches Classic Crust with TV campaign
- Lurpak rolls out jazz teaser by Juan Cabral
- Kate Robertson steps down from Havas
- Ronseal claims to ditch 'does exactly what it says on the tin' strapline