Full text of Jeremy Hunt's letter to Ed Richards
Read the full text of Jeremy Hunt's letter to Ofcom chief executive Ed Richards, on whether he should look again at the News Corporation/BSkyB merger in the light of recent developments.
2-4 Cockspur Street
London SW1Y SDH
11 July 2011
Tel 0207211 6000
Fax 020 7211 6249
2a Southwark Bridge Road
11 July 2011
As you are aware, my consultation on the revised undertakings in lieu offered by News Corporation closed on Friday at midday. I am now considering the responses to that consultation, but, as I stated on Friday, I anticipate this taking some time. Prior to the completion of that process, I would be grateful if you could let me know whether the events that followed your letter of 22 June change in any way the advice you offered, particularly with respect to three areas:
1. The closure of the News of the World in the last week is a significant change to the media landscape. I would be grateful if you could indicate whether this development (and/or the events surrounding it) gives you any additional concerns in respect of plurality over and above those raised in your initial report to me on this matter received on 31 December 2010
2. I am aware of your letter on Friday to John Whittingdale MP in relation to any proposed fit and proper persons test and would be grateful if you could keep me informed of progress. In particular, I would be grateful if you could clarify whether in your view, your current consideration or any potential future decision in relation to the fit and proper persons test might have an impact on the merger and my decision on media plurality or on the proposed undertakings in lieu.
3. Given the well-publicised matters involving the News of the World in the past week that led to its closure, I would be grateful if you could let me know whether you consider that any new information that has come to light causes you to reconsider any part of your previous advice to me including your confidence in the credibility, sustainability or practicalities of the undertakings offered by News Corporation.
I appreciate that Ofcom will be advising me on the response to the second consultation, but it would be of great assistance if you were able to let me have your response as swiftly as you are able.
Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP
Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Senior Digital Designer Creative Recruitment £50000 per annum, Berkshire
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show