News International switches adspend to Saturday Sun activity
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 19 July 2011 08:30AM
News International (NI) will redirect a major portion of its marketing spend to back the Saturday edition of The Sun, in the wake of the closure of the News of the World (NotW).
According to sources, NI executives believe a significant portion of the £7.8m NotW annual adspend should go toward promoting its Saturday tabloid, which faces strong competition from the Daily Mail.
Audited figures for June reveal the circulation of The Sun was 2.8m, ahead of the Mail’s 2m. However, the pap-ers’ circulations are thought to be much closer on Saturdays, which is why executives want a campaign that will drive an increase in Saturday sales.
Separately, media agency sources predict that a Sunday version of The Sun is unlikely to launch before September, given that, traditionally, August advertising revenues are low.
Nielsen figures seen by Marketing reveal that, in 2009, the ad revenues for the NotW for the week ending 9 August were slightly more than £600,000, which is some way short of its November peak of £1.2m.
The news comes after another week of controversy for Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal, including the resignation and subsequent arrest of NI chief executive Rebekah Brooks.
NI took out a series of full-page ads in all UK national news-papers in recent days, apologising to readers with the line ‘Putting right what’s gone wrong’.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- ARTWORKERS - DIGITAL, INTEGRATED, BRANDING Live Recruitment £competitive, England
- ART DIRECTORS - DIGITAL, INTEGRATED, BRANDING Live Recruitment £competitive, England
- Senior Digital Project Manager Digital Gurus £45000 - £52000 Per Annum benefits, London
- Events Producer - London based brand engagement agency - 3 month contract Bamboo Crowd £35000-£40000, London (Greater)
- Assistant Brand Manager Adam Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits, Manchester
- Virgin Media 'night owl' ad to break in Gogglebox
- Johnnie Walker calls global ad review
- Adam & Eve/DDB wins 2014 IPA Effectiveness Awards Grand Prix
- Testicular cancer awareness campaign launches comedy show
- Enjoyed getting an hour back on Sunday? You'll get years back if you stop smoking, says charity
- Tiffany & Co hires MEC for $100m global media