Birmingham City embarks on novel shirt sponsorship
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 26 July 2011 08:51AM
Birmingham City Football Club is offering shirt sponsorship on a match-by-match basis for the forthcoming football season.
The move by Birmingham City marks a change from normal footballing convention, which usually involves a brand sponsoring a club's shirt for at least the duration of a season.
The Birmingham club, which was relegated from the Premier League at the end of last season, will play its first match of the new season on 6 August.
A source close to the club said it had "several irons in the fire" regarding potential sponsors, but would not disclose further details.
Its shirt sponsor for the past five seasons has been F&C Investments, the financial company.
Middlesbrough and West Bromwich Albion (WBA) have previously employed a similar strategy of match-by-match sponsorship.
Ian Dutton, Birmingham City's commercial manager, said: "The commercial team have been working hard since relegation to find a suitable brand to work with the football club and, unfortunately, we had a number of offers that didn’t match the price that we valued our shirt sponsorship to be."
The club, nicknamed the Blues, said it had sounded out Middlesbrough and WBA before making the move.
Blues executives believe the move will give the club added flexibility and will mean it can build stronger relationships with the local community and charitable organisations.
Birmingham has undertaken initiatives in the past with McMillan Cancer Care.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Account Manager - BTL / [Shopper] / Drinks - Integrated Agency - £34k to £39k Fill Recruitment £34k - £39k, plus superb benefits, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Agency Sales Manager - soft-sell, premium inventory, top site! Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + bonus, West End
- Insights Project Manager Ball & Hoolahan £30,000 p.a, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Director Twist Recruitment £60000 - £65000 per annum, City of London
- Audience Development Director - SEO, Social & Content - CLIENT Ultimate Asset £75000 per annum + bens, Hammersmith and Fulham
- WPP, Daily Mail and SnapChat launch content agency Truffle Pig
- Will.i.am clashes with Martin Sorrell over online ads in Cannes
- UK agencies win 7 Media Lions
- Twitter to embrace power of TV in UK ad campaign
- Martin Sorrell on the mega-media reviews: 'We can't remember anything like this'
- Aston Martin appoints WPP to global marketing account