Nintendo to slash prices of the 3DS by a third
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 29 July 2011 11:15AM
Nintendo is slashing the prices of the 3DS handheld console by a third, less than five months after its high-profile launch, as the Japanese company moves to lift muted sales of the product.
Nintendo has admitted that sales of the console have to date fallen below expectations.
The reductions will mean that prices of the console could fall from as much as £219 to around £130, from August 12,
The dramatic price cut marks a shift in strategy, as previously, Nintendo has not cut the prices of its consoles until they are replaced by new models.
Nintendo is also offering current owners 20 free games.
The company revealed the price cut as it unveiled its first-quarter results.
Nintendo reported a quarterly operating loss of £296m and cut its sales forecast for the Wii by a million units.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Field Manager - Experiential Agency - up to £34k Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £34k, west london
- Senior Account Director/Group Account Director Twist Recruitment £48000.00 - £65000.00 per annum + great benefits, City of London
- Digital Lead with Integrated Agency Gemini Search £60000 - £75000 per annum, City of London
- Product Manager - Global Automotive Giant - Berkshire Ninesharp £40000 - £50000 per annum + Great Benefits and Brand Car, Slough