Google bolsters daily deals offering with Dealmap acquisition
By Sarah Shearman, brandrepublic.com, Tuesday, 02 August 2011 10:19AM
Google has acquired the daily offers startup, Dealmap, for an undisclosed sum, as it looks to grow its share in the location-based deals marketplace.
The acquisition will help Google bolster its location-based daily deals service Google Offers, which launched in the US in May.
It follows Google's attempt to buy online group buying service Groupon for a reported $6bn, towards the end of last year.
Dealmap, which launched in the US in May last year, aggregates daily group buying sites and claims to have more than two million users across its web, mobile, social network and email products.
It has distribution deals with partners including Microsoft Bing, T-Mobile and Local.com, which will be unaffected by the deal.
Dealmap wrote in a blog post yesterday that Google provides "the ideal platform" to accelerate its growth. It said: "We believe that joining Google will help us innovate in new and unexplored areas of commerce."
Facebook is also eyeing up daily deals as a key area for the business and is currently trialling an online voucher service which allows users to purchase items with Facebook Credits in the US.
Neither Google Offers nor Facebook Deals as yet offer group buying serivces such as those offered by Groupon and LivingSocial.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- In-House Graphic Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account