Appointment to view: the ads that led us to Specsavers
By Sarah Johnson, brandrepublic.com, Wednesday, 10 August 2011 09:00AM
Specsavers "should've gone to Specsavers" strapline is now so firmly established in the public's consciousness that the optician has dropped it from its latest ad. We round up some of the spots that made the line famous.
The new ad features a koala bear falling out of a tree.
Graham Daldry, Specsavers in-house creative director, explained: "Rather than overtly stated, our familiar 'should've gone to' catchphrase is implied – it would have been heavy handed to use it in this context."
The high street optician introduced the "should’ve gone to Specsavers" line in a 2002 soap opera themed ad. The phrase became the central inspiration for the brand's marketing message from then on, often quoted by the general public.
Some of the more memorable Specsavers ads include the recent "Lynx effect" parody and its work that featured the much loved animated characters from 'Mr Men' and 'Postman Pat'.
The brand's ad work is produced in-house by the Specsavers Creative team, which was also behind the humorous ‘Spermsavers’ film for the brand’s 25th anniversary in 2010.
Specsavers was founded in 1984 and now has more than a thousand stores spread across 10 countries.
You can watch the ads mentioned in the playlist below along with other highlighted ads.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Client/Media Agency role -Business Director -Publishing Client Ultimate Asset £65000 - £70000 per annum + great benefits package, City of London
- Senior Agency Sales - Video Advertising Aspire £40000 - £60000 per annum + 50% commission, London
- Account Director - Off Oxford Street Agency Fill Recruitment to £55k + great benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 p.a., London (Central), London (Greater)
- Age UK launches 'no friends' ads in response to Facebook campaign
- Fold7 splits with Gocompare.com amid talk of Gio Compario's return
- Pizza Hut launches Classic Crust with TV campaign
- Lurpak rolls out jazz teaser by Juan Cabral
- Kate Robertson steps down from Havas
- Ronseal claims to ditch 'does exactly what it says on the tin' strapline