Burger King hands £12m UK advertising to CHI
By Anne Cassidy, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 18 August 2011 08:00AM
Burger King has appointed CHI & Partners to its £12 million UK and Ireland advertising account.
CHI & Partners won the business after a hard-fought pitch that culminated in a final head-to-head against Hypernaked that involved work from both agencies going into research.
The other competing agencies, Mother, Saatchi & Saatchi and The Red Brick Road, were knocked out of the running at an earlier stage of the process.
CHI’s appointment follows Burger King’s selection of the New York shop Mcgarrybowen to its US advertising account after a pitch.
Mcgarrybowen fought off a WPP group led by CHI as well as McCann Erickson and Saatchis to win the business.
The UK pitch, overseen by the former McDonald’s marketing director Jo Blundell, who joined Burger King in May, kicked off in April.
UK and US reviews were prompted by Burger King’s split with its previous global agency, Crispin Porter & Bogusky, in March. A separate pitch was also held for the fast-food giant’s advertising in Spain.
CP&B, which had worked with Burger King for five years, introduced "The King", the 50-year-old Burger King mascot, to the UK for the first time last year. A TV spot featured people gathering from around the UK to follow The King into Burger King outlets.
Burger King had previously built a reputation in the US for running innovative work such as the "subservient chicken" campaign, which allowed users to control a person dressed in a chicken suit, and "Whopper Sacrifice", which rewarded Facebook users with a free Whopper every time they "sacrificed" ten friends on the social network.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Group Marketing Manager Stopgap £45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits, West Midlands
- Senior Strategist Gabriele Skelton £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Senior Digital Media Exec Aspire £22000.00 - £26000.00 per annum, London
- Social Media Co-ordinator (6 month contract Temp to Perm) Stopgap £25000 - £27000 per annum, West Midlands
- Digital Designer Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum, London
- Adam & Eve/DDB wins 2014 IPA Effectiveness Awards Grand Prix
- Enjoyed getting an hour back on Sunday? You'll get years back if you stop smoking, says charity
- Tiffany & Co hires MEC for $100m global media
- Mattessons Fridge Raiders campaign delivers AI robot to YouTube gamer
- HSBC launches Anyone's Game golf campaign
- Facebook and Airbnb sign up to D&AD New Blood