Celebrity Big Brother becomes fourth-biggest Channel 5 show of all time
Richard Desmond's decision to resurrect Celebrity Big Brother appears to be paying off after Channel 5 received its fourth-biggest audience of its 14-year history, and by far its biggest broadcast outside sport and films.
According to unofficial overnight figures, 'Celebrity Big Brother: Launch' delivered an average audience of 5.08 million between 9pm and 10.30pm, a 21.9% share of the TV-watching public.
The launch show introduced the first housemates to enter the Channel 5 'Big Brother' house including Sally Bercow, wife of the House of Commons speaker and Paddy Doherty from reality show 'Big Fat Gypsy Weddings'.
The 15-minute peak was between 10pm and 10.15pm, when the audience rose to 5.58 million viewers.
'Celebrity Big Brother's Bit on the Side', the follow-up show with guests such as 'Celebrity Big Brother' winner Alex Reid and 2010 'Big Brother' winner Josie Long, had an audience of 1.82 million between 10.30pm and 11.30pm, a 13.2% share.
The second most watched show at 9pm was the science fiction drama 'Torchwood: Miracle Day' on BBC One with an audience of 3.42 million, a 14% share of the available audience.
The closing episode of the two part Irish cop drama 'Single-handed' attracted an average audience of 2.78 million viewers, a 2.8% share, on ITV1 and ITV1 HD between 9pm and 10pm. An additional 100,500 watched the show on ITV1 +1.
|Top 10 most viewed programmes on Channel 5
|Rank||Programme||Date and time aired||Audience (Millions)|
|1||Euro 2000 Qualifier: Poland v England||Wed 8 Sep 1999 – 19.00||5,630,000|
|2||World Cup Qualifier: Albania v England||Wed 28 Mar 2001 – 19.00||5,590,000|
|3||Independence Day||Tue 7 Sep 1999 – 21.00||5,410,000|
|4||The Rock||Tue 8 Feb 2000 – 2100||5,050,000|
|5||Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines||Sun 14 Nov 2004 – 21.00||4,950,000|
|6||Miracle on 34th Street||Sun 7 Dec 2003 – 17.55||4,850,000|
|7||Uefa Cup 2002/3: Celtic v Liverpool||Thu 13 Mar 2003 – 19.45||4,610,000|
|8||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Tue 17 Mar 2009 – 21.00||4,550,000|
|9||Joey||Sun 13 Feb 2005 – 20.35||4,530,000|
|10||Euro 2000 Qualifier: Luxembourg v England||Wed 14 Oct 1998 – 19.00||4,380,000|
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Community Manager - £30-35k (Automotive) Digital Gurus £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits , Surrey
- Integrated Project Manager - Freelance Source £225 - £275 per day, London
- Campaign Manager - Poppy Lottery The Royal British Legion £30,000 plus £4,452 London weighting, Based at our offices near London Bridge
- Marketing Insight and Competitor Analysis Manager JV Recruitment £35000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent benefits and bonus, West Yorkshire
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity