Apple, Sony and M&S 'most defining brands' of today
By Alex Brownsell, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 24 August 2011 12:00AM
Apple, Sony and Marks & Spencer have been voted the top three brands that best represent life in the UK today, according to a survey by research agency BritainThinks.
The company has carried out its 'Time Capsule' poll of 2000 adults, in which it asks respondents to list brands, events, people, objects and words that best represent them and their lives.
Of all brands, Apple was top with 4% of the overall vote, with Sony and M&S on 3% each. Tesco and Cadbury completed the top five, with 2% of the nominations each.
Of the brands nominated, 19% were from the technology sector, 14% were retailers and 13% were food brands. Clothes brands accounted for 10% of the votes, with the cosmetics sector providing 8% of the suggested brands.
Within the technology sector, Apple was the clear winner, with 21% of the vote. Sony was voted into second place with 16%, while Microsoft came third, cited by 9%.
M&S was the most voted-for retail brand, with 22% of respondents considering it the brand most representative of life in the UK today. Tesco came second, with 19% of the vote, while Sainsbury's gained 11% to pip Asda (9%) to fourth place.
Elsewhere, the top food brands included Cadbury (14%), Heinz (13%) and Kellogg (7%). Nike (13%) beat Next (10%) into second place in the apparel sector, with Adidas (9%) third.
The poll was conducted using the Popular Data Solutions online panel.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Account Manager or SAM, Experiential, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £32000 - £36000 per annum, London
- Global CMI Manager Stopgap £235 per day + 3 month contract, South East England
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Bosch secures sponsorship deal with Channel 4's Sunday Brunch