Apple, Sony and M&S 'most defining brands' of today
By Alex Brownsell, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 24 August 2011 12:00AM
Apple, Sony and Marks & Spencer have been voted the top three brands that best represent life in the UK today, according to a survey by research agency BritainThinks.
The company has carried out its 'Time Capsule' poll of 2000 adults, in which it asks respondents to list brands, events, people, objects and words that best represent them and their lives.
Of all brands, Apple was top with 4% of the overall vote, with Sony and M&S on 3% each. Tesco and Cadbury completed the top five, with 2% of the nominations each.
Of the brands nominated, 19% were from the technology sector, 14% were retailers and 13% were food brands. Clothes brands accounted for 10% of the votes, with the cosmetics sector providing 8% of the suggested brands.
Within the technology sector, Apple was the clear winner, with 21% of the vote. Sony was voted into second place with 16%, while Microsoft came third, cited by 9%.
M&S was the most voted-for retail brand, with 22% of respondents considering it the brand most representative of life in the UK today. Tesco came second, with 19% of the vote, while Sainsbury's gained 11% to pip Asda (9%) to fourth place.
Elsewhere, the top food brands included Cadbury (14%), Heinz (13%) and Kellogg (7%). Nike (13%) beat Next (10%) into second place in the apparel sector, with Adidas (9%) third.
The poll was conducted using the Popular Data Solutions online panel.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Creative Artworker Creative Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Account Manager/Director, full time (would consider 4 days per week) Wonderberry UK Ltd Dependent on experience, Farringdon
- Online Visual Merchandising Manager Luxury Fashion brand Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Graphic Designer - Fashion - £30k 24 Seven Inc Up to £30k, City of London
- Digital Account Manager (ASAP) Zebra People £30000 - £40000 per annum, City of London
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014
- Evian tops YouTube 2013 ad leaderboard
- Volvo van Damme spot nears 60 million YouTube views