Twitter UK ads on course for October launch
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 07 September 2011 08:00AM
Twitter is finalising the brand partners for its UK-targeted ads, in time for the scheme's launch in October.
The paid-for opportunities offer promoted tweets, promoted trends and promoted accounts, which have already been available on a global basis through its US sales team for more than a year.
Brands pay for a tweet to appear in a user's timeline, to promote their account and to pay for subjects to appear as trends.
The ads users see will be based on their followers and who they follow, offering brands greater targeting opportunities.
Twitter has been negotiating with media agencies for a number of months as it looks to attract marketing spend from brands already active in its space.
It is understood to be offering bundled deals, with one agency source claiming Twitter is asking for up to a six-figure investment.
Shiva Rajaraman, project manger at Twitter, came to the UK in September last year, to demonstrate the company was actively engaged with UK marketers.
In the same month Marketing revealed the social network was in talks with brands including O2, Vodafone, Sky and Sony to become the first brands to use its UK ad platform.
Twitter originally signalled it would roll out the ads at the start of this year, but this proved difficult as it did not have a sales house in the region at the time.
In recent months it has accelerated its efforts, relocating Tony Wang from San Francisco to set up the office as general manager for Twitter UK.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £50,000 to £60,000, London
- Solution designer - Agile - Digital - Mobile - Apps - Web Salt £45000 - £75000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits , Cheshire
- Account Director [Airline Account] - SE1 Agency Fill Recruitment to £55k + bonus scheme, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director - Integrated Marketing - Oxfordshire Stonor £45,000 plus benefits , Oxfordshire
- GRAPHIC DESIGNER: (Digital, Print, Marketing, Events) Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Land Rover to move global ad account into Spark44
- Martin Sorrell talks Maurice Lévy, Tesco, and the global outlook
- Viacom to bring Breaking Bad to Freeview with Spike launch
- 'Advertisers are snake oil salesmen', says Peter Oborne
- Group M retains £80m Lloyds media
- WPP's Martin Sorrell reconsiders strength of newspapers