Costa overtakes McDonald's to become number three chain
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 07 September 2011 09:30AM
Costa Coffee has overtaken McDonald's as the nation's third-biggest food and drink chain based on number of branches, according to the Whitbread-owned chain.
Figures from Whitbread reveal that there are now 1,295 Costa Coffee outlets in the UK, eclipsing McDonald's 1,200 branches.
Whitbread has opened 145 Costa outlets in the past six months, helping it overtake the US fast-food giant.
But Costa Coffee still lags behind the top two chains – Greggs with 1,526 branches and Subway with 1,500.
Whitbread plans to open around 300 outlets this year and believes that UK consumers still have the appetite for more Costa Coffee branches.
The disclosure that Costa Coffee has leapfrogged McDonald's came as Whitbread, which also owns the Premier Inn value hotels, updated the City on its trading performance.
Like-for-like sales at Costa Coffee were up 9.7% in the 11 weeks to 18 August.
Andy Harrison, Whitbread chief executive, said: "Whitbread traded strongly in the second quarter with total sales growth of 12.9%, making us one of the fastest-growing consumer companies in the FTSE 100."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Product Development Manager Premier Inn £Competitive + Benefits, Dunstable, Bedfordshire
- Brand Manager Premier Inn £Competitive + Benefits, Dunstable, Bedfordshire
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Apple unveils 'biggest advancement in the iPhone' and 'Apple Watch'