Virgin Atlantic 'likely' to make alliance, says Branson
Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group and majority shareholder in Virgin Atlantic, has said he is willing to consider alliances with other carriers to "strengthen" his airline.
Branson owns 51% of Virgin Atlantic, with the remaining 49% held by Singapore Airlines.
In November, Branson called in Deutsche Bank to assess the aviation market and his airline's position within it, and in April told Bloomberg it "would make sense to have a partner for the business" while stressing he intended to retain control.
Speaking yesterday (8 September) at the opening of the Branson Centre of Entrepreneurship in Jamaica, Branson said that he will stay involved in Virgin Atlantic until he "drops", adding that it is "likely" an alliance with another airline would take place.
He said: "If we have to make swaps and shares with another company in order to make the right alliance work to strengthen Virgin Atlantic then I would be willing to do so."
He added: "At the moment we're building Virgin Atlantic. We've got a very good partner in the States and we're building Virgin Australia in the Far East. Without mentioning specifics, it is likely that some kind of further alliance will take place."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £30,000 per annum, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Partner Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 - £50000 per annum + bonus, Brentford, London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent Benefits, East Midlands Region / Leicestershire
- Account Manager - Shopper / Promotional Marketing Agency Stonor £30K + as a benchmark but depends on level of experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- 8 things I learnt as an IPA ad student
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Campaign Viral Chart: Always ad reaches no 1 for second time
- Agencies need to be more creative about creativity
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency