Google to open new office in East London
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 09:50AM
Google is set to open a multimillion pound "technology community centre" in East London, helping bring the government's vision of creating a Tech City in the area to fruition.
The seven-floor office is based on Bonhill Street, near a cluster of tech start-ups and digital agencies around London's Old Street, dubbed The Silicon Roundabout.
The internet giant has taken out a 10-year lease on the property and will host a range of activities such as speaker series, "hackathons", training workshops and product demonstrations from Google engineers.
It said this will be an entirely new venture, with Google UK's existing operations remaining in their current central London offices.
It claims the centre is the first of its kind in the company’s history and is part of its commitment to making the Tech City "vision a reality".
David Singleton, engineering director at Google UK said: "East London is already home to hundreds of innovative British start-ups, and has huge potential for economic growth and new jobs over the coming years."
Eric Van Der Kleij, chief executive of the Tech City Investment Organisation, said: "Google is a terrific example of a major technology business that understands the importance of nurturing as well as benefiting from the communities where they operate.
"This investment will pay dividends for them as well as contributing to the long-term success of the Tech City, and we are delighted to welcome them to the area."
The announcement comes in the same week it was revealed Twitter would be opening its first international headquarters in Dublin, rather than London.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Media Manager (Planning) Save the Children £36,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Freelance Middleweight Designer Purple Consultancy £220 - £250 per day, London
- Assistant Partnerships & Affiliate Manager Stopgap £150 per day + 6 month contract, London
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Haig Club launches David Beckham ad
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Blinkbox readies campaign to promote its cinema links
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith