Mars pledges to eradicate emissions by 2040
Mars is ramping up its corporate social responsibility (CSR) drive by overhauling its website to push its five "principles in action", which include a commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to zero.
The confectionary giant behind the brands Skittels, Galaxy and Snickers, among others, is committing to eradicate greenhouse gas emissions from all its factories and offices by 2040 without the use of carbon offsets and regardless of business growth.
As part of a health and nutrition drive, Mars already has a global commitment to only advertise food, snack and confectionary products to people over the age of 12.
Details of the company's full marketing code will be hosted on the updated Mars.com website.
CSR is becoming an increasingly important part of the running of global businesses, as rival companies look to outdo each other with bold green strategies.
Mars is also committing to sustainable sources policies across a range of essential raw materials ranging from coffee and tea to rice, fish, cocoa and palm oil.
Its commitment follows Mars' disclosure that Maltesers would be the company's first Fairtrade certified brand as part of commitment to sustainably source cocoa.
Mars president and chief executive Paul S Michaels said: "In some arenas, we are making good progress, in others, like cocoa sustainability, we have more work to do."
Mars' five "principles in action" are quality, responsibility, mutuality, efficiency and freedom.
Follow Matthew Chapman on Twitter @MattChapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Search & Performance Marketing Director - Dubai MCG Associates Competitive and Tax Free in the sunshine!, Dubai, UAE
- Regional Planning & Strategy Director - Middle East & North Africa - Dubai Based MCG Associates Large Tax Free Package + Family Medical + Family Flights + Bonus + Relocation flights and hotel, Dubai - UAE
- Biddable Account Manager - Social Media - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager - near Bath Stopgap £35000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'