William Hill to sponsor European football on ESPN
By Mark Banham, mediaweek.co.uk, Friday, 30 September 2011 10:56AM
Betting company William Hill has signed up to sponsor the UK coverage of the Italian, Russian and Dutch premier leagues on sports broadcaster ESPN.
The deal, brokered through William Hill's retained media agency the7stars, will include live, delayed and highlights coverage with pre and end-break bumpers. The sponsorship also extends to ESPN's preview and review shows around the matches.
The betting company will also sponsor the broadcaster’s forthcoming mobile app for football news and information site, ESPNsoccernet.
William Hill will be integrated into the app with a "bet now" button enabling users to place bets on football action as it happens.
As part of the multi-platform deal, William Hill will also run display banners and rich-media ads online with ESPNsoccernet.
Alan Fagan, director advertising sales at ESPN Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA), said: "Our multi-platform coverage of Europe’s top football leagues is a popular part of the ESPN offering to fans and brands alike.
"Our agreement with William Hill, one of the UK's leading brands, reflects how we can deliver value to top-flight advertisers, connecting them with loyal and passionate UK football fans across multiple screens."
Kristof Fahy, chief marketing officer at William Hill, said: "ESPN is one of the leading names in sports media and we're really looking forward to working with them. This multi-platform deal will enable us to promote our brand and services to millions of sports fans across the UK."
In January this year William Hill appointed Beattie McGuinness Bungay to handle its advertising account and briefed the agency to showcase a series of innovations planned for the coming year.
In 2010 the bookmaker introduced a campaign that used the strapline "I will," featuring football fans making promises to themselves.
Follow Mark Banham on Twitter @Banham72
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Account Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum, Liverpool
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £35000 - £40000 per annum, Liverpool
- Account Manager Pitch Consultants £23000 - £27000 per annum, Liverpool
- Head of Customer Marketing Stopgap £80000 per annum, London
- Account Manager- Integrated Creative Agency Spectrum 360 Recruitment £26k - £32k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Cannes 2015: Highlights from the Campaign beach party
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch