Sony raids PlayStation history for PS3 ad
Sony has launched a campaign for PS3, which features game characters from the console's 15-year history, including favourites created by EA Games and Activision.
The 'Long Live Play' campaign by Lowe + Partners agency Deutsch LA includes a two-minute film, which has been made in conjunction with 15 video game publishers.
It stars 25 game characters and required 3,000 hours of special effects.
The characters come together in the ad to share stories about a gamer called Michael, who helps them in their games. They all shout "to Michael" in thanks for what he does for them.
Alongside EA and Activision, Deutsch LA worked with Ubisoft, Square Enix, WB, Konami and Namco. The charachters' voices in the ad are their actual voices from the original games.
The film stars Nathan Drake from 'Uncharted', Kratos from 'God of War', Sackboy from 'LittleBigPlanet' and Chimera from 'Resistance'. It will be available online in its two-minute form and in 30 and 60- second versions for TV.
A spokeswoman for Deutsch LA said it was the first time characters from so many story-based game franchises have been brought together in one spot and the first time many characters had been shown in a live action scenario away from the game.
Art direction was by Shannon McGlothin, the executive vice president and group creative director, and Ryan Dickey, senior art director. The copywriters were Sam Bergen, vice president, associate creative director, and Josh Fell, associate creative director.
Simon McQuoid at Los Angeles-based production agency Imperial Woodpecker directed the ad and post production was by The Mill. Sound design was by 740 Sound Design & Mix and audio post production was by Santa Monica-based Lime.
The social media campaign will include a special Facebook app that allows viewers to interact with Sony's character Kevin Butler, the vice president of various fictitious PlayStation departments who was designed to answer customer queries.
The app will also allow users to personalise the 'Michael' spot using content from their own Facebook page and watch a video showcasing the entertainment content available through the PS3.
As part of the Facebook activity real-life gamers who are members of the online network PlayStation Nation will be selected and called out and saluted for their achievements on a daily basis by Kevin Butler.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Marketing Director Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + Car/CA,
- Martin Sorrell earns 780 times more than average WPP employee
- 3 top tips on how to save an epic social media fail
- Lake Capital rejects demands of Engine's rebel shareholders
- Head lice-killing mousse launches in the UK with cartoon campaign
- Facebook's 'Buy' button: a leap too far?
- Beiersdorf postpones review after MAA criticisms of procedure