YouTube enters UK online film rental market
By Daniel Farey-Jones, brandrepublic.com, Friday, 07 October 2011 03:48PM
YouTube has launched a movie rental service in the UK, offering more than 1,000 full-length feature films.
The library includes 'The Dark Knight' and 'Reservoir Dogs', as well as new releases such as 'Red Riding Hood'.
Banksy documentary 'Exit Through The Gift Shop', for example, costs £2.49 for a 48-hour viewing window.
The Google-owned video site launched the service in the US in May and rolled it out in Canada last month.
Many movie pages also feature YouTube Movie Extras with free behind-the-scenes videos, cast interviews, parodies, clips and remixes from YouTube’s community.
The move comes in the same week that both YouTube and Amazon-owned LoveFilm revealed they would soon be expanding onto the Xbox 360, and as the Competition Commission considers intervening in the market for movie rights for the first subscription pay-TV window.
The commission provisionally ruled in August that Sky's exclusive hold on these rights for all six Hollywood studios contributed to a lack of effective competition, and has consulted on various courses of action.
Follow @danfareyjones on Twitter
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Digital Media Consultant Silverdrum £25,000 - £35,000 depending on experience + uncapped commission, London (Greater)
- Account Director - B2B and IT David Thatcher Recruitment £45-55k, West London, M40 Corridor
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show